Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automation network design idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

caga

Hi,

I am trying to build simple , small, low cost peers which will be controlled by a master and will use telephone/electrical cables(live) as communication medium which are very noisy. They will do simple jobs like turning on a lamp, or dimming it, sending the temp etc. As the number will be high, the cost and being small is very important. So I am trying not to use ready made transiver ICs. The network protcol and other digital issues are not problem right now, since I am good at uPs I believe that I can manage them.

The main problem I am stuck with is its IF, interface part. After the coupler, there should be a filter, amplifier (with AGC?), signal conditioning unit for receiving and a tx unit for transmitting. The tx must be powerfull to send the signal long distances. I choose the 4800bps as the data speed and 95-140kHz band as the carrier frequency after reading some similar samples. I could not decide the modulation between ASK or FSK, there are + and - points. Also there is an alternative of using 2 carriers in the band which is selectable for noisy situations. As far as I can see, the gain should be ~60dB or more , and the attenuation of out of band signals must be high. If possible the output should be TTL in order to input to uP and receive the packets send.

I build a prototype with capacitor coupler, and using an inductor to isolate, after that, number of cmos NOT gates(CD4069) for filtering and amplification. I used ASK, in which the uP open/closes a pwm output at 132kHz in the modulation of a rs232 signal.(I use ready rs232 libs, but these can be changed of course) It is working around 30m but is not good for a perfect design since;
1-By the help of inductor the tx signal reaches 70v p-p (which I made by turn ratio), consumes much power and attenuates the received signal. From internet I found that 1A tx unit will produce around 7v p-p and working in km ranges which are using non-isolated(without inductor) or isolated design with a ratio of 1:1 , 1:2. My tx part actually a simple transistor feeding the the inductor.
2-Since there is no AGC, taking one of the peers, too close or too far affects communication. ( there is recomendation to use FSK which eliminates the need for AGC?)
3-If possible I do not want to use an inductor for cost and space

Any ideas or sample circuits similar to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back