Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

automatic pet door using Infrared

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzdave

Hello, I have been thinking about making my own homemade electronic pet door for fun like one found http://www.doors4pets.com/Pet-Doors/electronic-pet-doors.asp. The dog wears a transmitter on his collar and when he gets close to the door, the receiver on the door recognizes the transmitter and the door opens the door and closes. Anyone know of what kind of kit I should buy for the transmitter/receiver? Many of these things say they use infrared. Is that what I should use? It has been a few years since school, but I was thinking of hooking up the receiver output to a 555 timer chip to regulate the door opening and closing sequence, and then hook up the output of that to a relay that would operate a 120 V power source to open the door. And I'm not sure if I would need some kind of programmable logic device to control all of this or maybe I could use a transistor or some sort like a Bipolar Junction Transistor. If I do need a PLC, I can't think of a place that I could program it. It was nice having those labs in school. Any suggestions?

IR pet door huh?

I like the idea.

It shodnt be to hard.There are IR serial reciver modules that can be a big help to you.Thay range freq. from 30 to 40 Khz.

All you need to do is hang an thingy around your pet.the thingy wod have an 555 timer that pulses an IR LED at the recivers freq.Wen the IR module picks that freq. up its output goes high. This cod drive an 555 timer that runs an DC motor over an H brige.

Not all that complycated to do.

I dont have an dog.I only have an cat that is never inside.So i probobly wont make it my self.

The batteries probably wouldnt last more than a week (if that) with continued usage. You should have it transmit every couple of seconds or so to conserve battery power

Maybe you could research the methods used by RFID tags. Especially the ones "powered" by the fixed location transmitter. Perhaps a circuit that is in low power "sleep-mode" awakened by the transmitters signal would improve battery life.

One thought also, if using IR, an unobstructed transmission path may be difficult on pets with long hair, or their body blocking the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back