Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automatic light dimmer - need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Brown

Hi, I want to build an automatic light dimmer for my fish tank lights, so that in the morning they turn on and brighten up over a few hours, and in the evening do the reverse.

I am running what we call, T5 lights. I have 4, on 2 seperate plugs (2 on each AC plug). These are 156w total.

34 39w Power-Glo

I have found this unit, but you have to manually flick a switch to set the reverse. I want to build a dimmer unit that I never have to touch.

**broken link removed**

Thanks, Alex.

Hi, I want to build an automatic light dimmer for my fish tank lights, so that in the morning they turn on and brighten up over a few hours, and in the evening do the reverse.

I am running what we call, T5 lights. I have 4, on 2 seperate plugs (2 on each AC plug). These are 156w total.

34 39w Power-Glo

I have found this unit, but you have to manually flick a switch to set the reverse. I want to build a dimmer unit that I never have to touch.

**broken link removed**

Thanks, Alex.

For your fish safety if better if you buy an already made electronic timer, you can program the time and day of week to turn ON /OFF the lights and forget about it

Last edited:

I want to build a dimmer unit that I never have to touch.
If these tube lights are dimmable, a triac and a photosensor should do it. I wouldn't use a comparator. There are several threads dealing with this issue.

Hi,

electronics aside.

Dimming the lights will probably change the colour spectrum, have you considered that and is it desireable. Certain plant types coral types etc. require a specific ligh spectrum for optimal growth.

I see the lights are for a marine tank, my knowledge is limited to a tropical tank where i know the change in spectrum will severely alter plant growth.

Cheers
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back