Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automated Relay activation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glitchx2

I want to make a medicine box that will only be able to open at preset times.
i have found many 555 based circuits that will count down then activate the relay (connected to a solinoid) but i need it to be perpetual, so if the box isn't opened at that time it will relock and start the count down agian.
a simple 23hr 40 mins countdown before opening the box for 20 mins would suffice (simple is a relative term)

the idea is that wandering fingers can't get hold of medication, but in that 20 min window you can get in and take out the days required medication. (we have already thought of fails safes should we miss an open period)

Actually, your best bet might be a micro-controller, if you're willing to do some programming; you would want to use a servo rather than a solenoid (easier to have a dual-state lock/unlock). You could even easily incorporate an LCD showing all sorts of extra info, allow changing of open periods (you could program it to open multiple times in a day, for instance, if needed). Your choice of micro-controller could be nearly anything; an Arduino, Basic Stamp, AVR (of which the Arduino is a variant), or PIC would work fine. If you are new to micro-controllers, the Arduino might be the easiest to get your head around, as it was designed for use by non-engineers and artists.

thanks for the suggestions so far. micro's are a new field for me entierly. the ideal situation is getting a system that i can say open for 20 mins at 8am on monday, 10 am on tuesday ect ect.

When it comes to applications like this I generally suggest **broken link removed** The logic here is that you can easily program time of day periods for given days of the week. Units like this generally can be easily hacked for all sorts of applications and generally have an internal back up battery that keeps time for years. They can be had at just about any home improvement store and are cheap.

Building your own is also fine but I can't build one for what I can buy one for.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back