Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audiovox 223A2 speaker and connection questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfranzk

A friend of mine has an Audiovox 223A2 CD, Cassette, AM-FM tuner that does not have speakers. It uses a special speaker connector that I am having difficulty to find. Looks like a JST maybe but I want to replace the jacks on the amplifier with a standard spring lock type speaker connector. A couple of questions. The unit is rated for 8 ohm speakers and the speakers he has available are 6 ohm. I know this will take more power to drive the speakers but is it likely to cause problems with the amplifier?? Second is there a way to determine the polarity of the speaker jacks so I can add the standard spring lock connectors??

Attached is a photo of the jacks. If anyone can identify the connector I might just wire up some speakers but I think I would prefer to add the standard connectors so I can use the proper 8 ohm speakers if I find a set.

Thanks in advance
20210525_193006.jpg

Basically it's a cheap crappy unit, hence the crappy speaker connectors.

Obviously, someone must make them, but you never seem to see the same sockets used twice on different cheap units, and can never seem to find anything to fit.

Just fit a spring loaded speaker connector (we use loads of them at work, but not for speakers) and solder a couple of wires from the old sockets.

6 ohm shouldn't be a problem, there's little difference between 8 ohms and 6 ohms, and it's nothing like a set value anyway.

On a similar theme, where I used to work we had a customer who bought a Sony surround sound system - this also used some obscure speaker sockets, but more substantial than those. A week later he came back, and asked to order a new remote control, as he'd thrown it away in the packaging. We got him one, all was happy.

Then he came back again - and wanted speaker leads (he'd thrown those away as well) - checked on Sony, £130 for the speaker leads!!!!!!. In the end I soldered wires on the sockets for him, and fitted terminal blacks on the wires.

Nigel, Thanks,
Is there an effective way to determine what the proper speaker polarity is so I can connect the new terminals with properly identified polarities. I know I could just switch wires until I get decent sound but would like to get it right if I am going to the effort of adding those terminals. Would the negative sides be common and therefore have continuity? Would the negative sides be connected to a common ground??

Thanks.

rfranzk.

It doesn't matter which way round they are, as long as both are the same - I would nominate the pin next to the angled corner as +ve.

The negatives 'may' be common, but not if the amplifiers are bridged.

Would the negative sides be common and therefore have continuity? Would the negative sides be connected to a common ground??
sometimes... an ohmmeter measuring between the two connectors can tell you that. if there isn't a common ground, the amplifiers are bridged, and both wires are "hot". bridged outputs are usually used on car-fi stuff, but occasionally cheap home stereo uses bridged outputs to get more output power from a single power supply... most of the time however, they use common ground. the polarity of each connector will be the same, so we could number the pins L1, L2, R1, R2. measure between L1-R1, and L2-R2. if you get continuity between a pair of pins, that's ground. if you don't get continuity between either pair, the outputs are bridged.

Everyone,

Thanks for your assistance on this. I did this a week or so ago but did find a pair that had continuity and used those as the negative side of the speakers. Added the spring clip connectors and it all worked just fine.

Thanks again!!!!
rfranzk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back