Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio measurements automated (Sone unit of loudness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterT

Most Helpful Member
Strange problem for me.. new territory. I appreciate every opinion and experience you have to offer on this topic.

I need to record a button click. This is for user-experience thing. I have Babyface Pro FS and a very good and expensive microphone. What are my options to automate this thing with coding.. the babyface does not include any official programming interface. I am not familiar with midi-control.. not sure if it helps.

Does anybody have experience with this "Sone" unit. How to measure and calibrate. And maybe even automate testing?

What exactly are you trying to automate?

For calibration, I'd use a separate sound level meter positioned at the same distance from the source as the mic, and initially use a few different test tones to get known input level readings on whatever DAW or recording software you are using.

Then replace the test source with the item being measured and record it.

It appears then that technically you will have to do some filtering to split the result in to different frequency bands and use the previous calibration data to work out the SPL in each band, then do some interesting(!) maths to convert to a Sone result...

However, for something which I'd guess is quite a low level sound, you could probably use and inverse equal-loudness curve in a graphic equaliser to compensate for ear response, plus the calibration SPL to get a result?

Or just use a metering plugin that has a "LUFS" display option - that should include the human ear response calculation stuff already...

"a button click" ... you are detecting a button click sound that is sitting next to your listening device? which is sent up through usb to pc?

"automate this thing with coding" .. on a pc i presume? , so you are trying to create a listener to trigger another event?

without any exp whatsoever and never heard of this device till now, My first idea would be to check out the software included, if the software can do it maybe there is a shell command. Or maybe you can use a "WireShark"
on the usb line to find the instructions to the device.

for resolving if the sound sampled matches the trigger sound, I would ditch whatever a Sone is and go with an AI algorithm to run a comparison on several prerecorded samples. A few AI image comparison codes are out there on the web to show a comparative example of how AI does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back