Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audi Indicator Signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huttojb1

Seen the Audi Indicator Signals on the road lately, I have LED Indicators with 8 LEDs. Is there a way I could create the same sweeping effect on my indicators if I removed and redesigned the internal circuit.

Would like a single 12v input to initiate the sweeping if that's possible?

Jason.

Sure you can. If you can address each LED in your array all you need is a microcontroller with either I2C output or individual outputs, depending on the type of array you now have.
The command can be anything, from a 12V pulse to a relay or whatever that drives the appropriate input signal to your controller.
Search/Google for "microcontroller led array drive".

I have LED Indicators with 8 LEDs. Is there a way I could create the same sweeping effect on my indicators if I removed and redesigned the internal circuit.

What will this do to your existing BCM(body control module). Will floating outputs on the BCM set a "code"?

If you want to add a microcontroller to drive a LED indicator array, piece of cake.

If you want to alter your car hardware and software to do the same: good luck.

Thank you both for your suggestion and using a PIC I could do it easy, is there away of doing it via pure circuitry.!?

Jason.

What will this do to your existing BCM(body control module). Will floating outputs on the BCM set a "code"?

It's got the vehicle in my picture. So no BCM to think about.

You could consider using an LED bargraph driver IC like the LM3916 - you'd (probably) need to add driver transistors to deliver the current to the high-power LEDs in your lamps, but it should be pretty simple. Just put a R-C ramp generator on the analogue input with a diode across the R to generate a rough sawtooth.

That's how I'd approach it, anyway.

It's got the vehicle in my picture. So no BCM to think about.

Can I ask a personal question? Why with a car like that, that comes down to the pure essence of driving and being a vehicle, would you want to "gaudy" it up with "bells and whistles"? It should be a car for the driver to experience, not to hang things on that are in vogue today but won't stand the test of time. This is just my opinion, but would like to understand your thinking.

Can I ask a personal question? Why with a car like that, that comes down to the pure essence of driving and being a vehicle, would you want to "gaudy" it up with "bells and whistles"? It should be a car for the driver to experience, not to hang things on that are in vogue today but won't stand the test of time. This is just my opinion, but would like to understand your thinking.

You word it exactly as I felt it: we drive a TR4, for the fun of driving it. My wife rightfully refuses me to add anything electronically, even the voltage regulator is a 60's bimetal type that gives an average 10V output. Points ignition, dashboard lighting with classical bulbs, etc.

But we did use it to transport our Christmas tree home :D

..and make wishcards for friends and family.

IMG_20161217_183646.jpg

Hi erchens,
That picture reminds me of the time I transported 20 foot (6 metres) lengths of angle iron for an antenna tower I was building in a Lotus Elan that I had at the time.

Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back