Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Atmel AT89C2051 to PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker.Clark

I am new to micro controllers and have been looking for some projects that I could do. I have done a few LED circuits with various micro controllers, but I wanted to do something a little different. I found this circuit and thought it would be fun to do, however, I only have **broken link removed** programmer that I built. How would I go about converting the circuit from the Atmel micro controller to a PIC that I can program with the above programmer? Thank you.

Just build an AVR programmer, you can build a printer port interface to most AVR's using only a few discrete components. Circuits and software are prolific on the net, even a few minutes searching will find you dozens of programmers than can be built from a scrap bin of parts.

That is a possibility, but I would have to buy other Atmel micro controllers and build a whole new programmer. If anyone else has any other suggestions, please respond. Thank you.

It may well be easier to use the atmel 51 uC.

However, if you really want to do that with a PIC you will need to understand the firmware of the atmel chip and rewrite it for the PIC architecture. The circuit itself would not be very different - use a 14 or 18 pin pic. Check out what the '51 firmware is doing with the clock line. it might need to go to an interrupt pin. you might want to pick a PIC with I2C for the serial eeprom though it could be bit banged.

Overall, it's not going to be that hard for someone with some experience but if you are new to uCs, it will be a steep learning curve.

I think there are 'keylogger' device projects build with PIC. Might be much simpler to go with one of those, instead of translating.

HarveyH42 said:
I think there are 'keylogger' device projects build with PIC. Might be much simpler to go with one of those, instead of translating.

I've looked around a bit, but I haven't been able to find any other circuits other than the Atmel one.

Just ran a search on google. I found your AVR Keylogger. But too many hits when I tried using PIC.

This keylogging is kind of interesting. Seems to be divided into three main groups; spies(thieves), parents/spouse, and anti-keylogging. Seems to be one of those barely legal devices. I'll try and remember to search next time I visit Hack-a-day, Make, I-Hack or similar sites and see what turns up. Pretty sure I've seen this before a few times, just wasn't interested.

Please see this list of Projects, I collect form Make Magazine:

**broken link removed**

I think is very interesting, if you are learning micros.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back