Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AT89S51 manual programmer circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryyy

I am tryin to make a manual eeprom programmer for AT89S51 for small code loadin. It shd verify and also read the signature bytes.
Please help....

What exactly is a manual eeprom programmer?

Atmel has several different programming methods for its various 8051 chips. Programming this chip is done offline with some kind of a programmer in either serial mode or parallel mode. Which one did you have in mind?

Last edited:
programmer details

thanks papabravo 4 d help...i am new 2 this world and hve very less idea bout al this... i started wid AT89S51 just this summer and am tryin to learn how to use its various aspects....i dont have a comp at my disposal at my current situation...so i decided to make a programmer with which i can program the ucontroller without the help of a comp...it has to b programmed parallel with setting the address and data at p1-p2.3 and p0 respectectively by pressing ALE/Prog low for some time....i was working with the help of the datasheet of the ucontroller....details are given in my other thread couple of threads below this...<link>https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/bought-a-at89s51-first-time-help.22027/</link>
please analize the details and tell me wat to do....

This is a classic chicken and egg problem. You want a device that will allow you to enter small programs into a processor and you don't have access to a computer. The solution you want may require a computer so we are at an impasse.

Long ago computers had front panels. A front panel was an array of switches and lights that allowed the setting of an address register and a data register and could write the contents of the data register to memory. There are at least three approaches to the problem. There is the parallel method, there is the serial method, and there is the ISP method.

Let's try the parallel method. For the address register you are going to need 16 Single Pole Single Throw Toggle switches, sixteen LEDs, and four 4-bit parallel load binary counters. For the data register you need 8 Single Pole Single Throw Toggle switches, eight LEDs and you might as well use the counters for the data register. We wont be incrementing the data register like we will the address register.

Your homework is to select the parts, and figure out how to connect the switches, counters and LEDs together. My homework is to read the datasheet in more detail so I can see if this will be possible, without using another computer. Even if it is not, your effort won't be wasted we still need an address and data register of some kind.

re:

Thank you again 4 d help...i have a circuit that i made using dip switches to define address and data lines....(i have sent the link of the thread before)...i feel this is gettin kindda complicated for no reason....i think if i get a comp and use the parallel port to program the AT89s51 with the following circuit will it work....
I use the following link to make a ISP cable
**broken link removed**

and on a pcb put a six pin connector for the prescribed pins and connect it with the ucontroller

And use the software given by ATMEL to program using ISP ....

Well I got an error message when I tried to follow the link so I can't say for sure.

urgent!AT89S51/52 Serial Based ISP ckt kit!

Does anybody know few links to download a simple n low cost AT89S51/51 ISP programmer circuit???Reply to this thread immediately!Thanking You!

Can anybody plz tell me how to avoid the code verify error from an AT89C52 programmer. Its really annoying when everything goes well and then you receive verify error and nothing has been programmed in chip. Plz help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back