Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

at power supply contruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

truenoteno

i have made a basic power supply from 2 12v car batteries (to get +12,G-12), i have all the votlages correct, i plug it in and nothing happens, is there some sort of timing for the voltages ?

Ironically i was just fiddling with one of my old AT power supplies.

To get proper +/- 12V, you often need to adequately load the 5V supply. To my surprise however, this loading is to about 5% of the rated supply power.

For me, i had a 200W power supply, and at 5V i had to load it to about 10W. Do the math and you see i need a 10W, 2.5 Ohm resistor! (( I didnt happen to have one lying around )).

With some make-shift temporary testing resistances, I was drawing nearly 2A though the 5V line before i got it up to 12V regulation!

Hope it helps...
:NaN:

did you make your own power supply for your comp ? or were you just loading it.

where would you put the load resistor ?

If what you did is attempt to wire two 12 v car batteries together they should be in series - with the + terminal of one connected to the - terminal of the other. The point where those connect will be neutral or ground, the free + will be +12 v and the free - will be -12 v. You should also see 24 to 26 volts across the free + and -.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back