Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Asus vs ACER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joelin

HI
I'm looking to buy a new laptop and i'm not sure which to choose. I'm looking for 1 thats not more than R10 000. this is wat i found so far, but not sure which is better.

ASUS X59SR
intel core2 T5800 2GHz
4 GB DDR2 667
250GB sata HDD
1.3 Wcam
ATI Radeon HD3470 512MB

ACER 5530G
AMD Turion RM70 2GHz
4GB DDR2 667
320GB sata HDD
0.3 Wcam
F/print reader
ATI Radeon 256MB (doesnt say wat specific card. but prob HD3200)

plz i would like some opinions. i'm from South Africa and also wanna know who provides better support

I do not recommend ASUS for own bad customer service experience.

I do not recommend ASUS for own bad customer service experience.

I've heard some bad things from other folks about ASUS support as well, but if you're capable of doing your own work (and have the time), it's easy and fast to order replacement parts from them which is nice. I messed up the keyboard on my laptop and ordered a new one for about $20; it arrived in less than a week and was only a matter of undoing 3 screws to replace.

As far as bang for the buck and build quality though, I'd say the ASUS comes out on top (in my experience).

Torben

Check customer support reviews for both makers on an independent website that specializes in reviews, getting advice on forums like this is usually a bad idea, too many ingrained perspectives which will likely have nothing to do with your personal experience. If you're a little weary of the companies customer support think about getting a third party support package.

Check customer support reviews for both makers on an independent website that specializes in reviews, getting advice on forums like this is usually a bad idea, too many ingrained perspectives which will likely have nothing to do with your personal experience. If you're a little weary of the companies customer support think about getting a third party support package.

That's good advice. I freely admit that my perspective may be a little skewed since I don't think I've ever called customer support for a computer purchase.

Torben

I know it's not on you list, but I think HP have them both beat.
I also have a few clients with Dell, and they seem pretty happy with them, although if you call support the first thing they want to do is reinstall Windows...

I hate HP with a purple passion, but that's for desktop machines not laptops.

I've heard some bad things from other folks about ASUS support as well, but if you're capable of doing your own work (and have the time), it's easy and fast to order replacement parts from them which is nice. I messed up the keyboard on my laptop and ordered a new one for about $20; it arrived in less than a week and was only a matter of undoing 3 screws to replace.

As far as bang for the buck and build quality though, I'd say the ASUS comes out on top (in my experience).

Torben

Hi Torben,

I would have gone along with that 10 years ago. At that timer ASUS' customer service was outstanding. It has deteriorated steadily and is now at almost zero.

ASUS mainboards were a long time considered to be the 'Mercedes' class mainboards, which doesn't appy either anymore.

I purchased a mainboard to accomodate an AMD 2.4GHz CPU two years ago. The BIOS recognized an AMD 1.8GHz CPU. Using the overclocking feature of the CMOS-setup the system haltet at CPU speeds higher than 1,660MHz because of "heavy overclocking".

I tried to get a satisfactory solution at ASUS with absolutely no reply (four attempts)!

Hans

Last edited:
Hi Torben,

I would have gone along with that 10 years ago. At that timer ASUS' customer service was outstanding. It has deteriorated steadily and is now at almost zero.

ASUS mainboards were a long time considered to be the 'Mercedes' class mainboards, which doesn't appy either anymore.

I purchased a mainboard to accomodate an AMD 2.4GHz CPU two years ago. The BIOS recognized an AMD 1.8GHz CPU. Using the overclocking feature of the CMOS-setup the system haltet at CPU speeds higher than 1,660MHz because of "heavy overclocking".

I tried to get a satisfactory solution at ASUS with absolutely no reply (four attempts)!

Hans

:( That sucks. I've had nothing but good luck with this machine , but that's just one user. It's too bad that so many companies get bought up and the new owners seem to try to coast on an established reputation, while letting things go to pot. Not that I know that that's the case here, but it does happen a lot it seems.

Torben

The competition for computer dollars is very stiff.

Consumer units are made as cheap as possible. If they put a few extra bucks into a unit to make it more durable they do not sell. They are all aprox the same bad stuff.

If you want a good machine do not buy the junk make for the masses.

The competition for computer dollars is very stiff.

Consumer units are made as cheap as possible. If they put a few extra bucks into a unit to make it more durable they do not sell. They are all aprox the same bad stuff.

If you want a good machine do not buy the junk make for the masses.

That's why I chose the ASUS last year; they're one of the few companies who make their own machines. Most of the name-brand stuff (Dell, Acer, Lenovo, etc) are made by one of a small number of manufacturers and just have different cases or badges.

My other top choices were any of the machines made by Clevo (Alienware, Sager, Falcon, etc) but the ASUS won out on bang for the buck. I wouldn't have been unhappy with any of them, either--although sometimes you do pay a bit of a premium for that badge or swanky case (Alienware, here's lookin' at you).

I hope ASUS maintains (or re-attains) the level of quality which used to be associated with the brand. Again, I'm not really fussed about the customer service since I can order anything I need for the machine and replace it myself much cheaper than sending it in to a shop. But customer service is probably pretty important for people who don't like screwdrivers. :) [Edit: talking only about laptops here. . .trying to fix a motherboard at home (except maybe for caps) would be beyond me.]

Torben

Last edited:
thaks for the replys. but support aside which would most likely perform better. I'm not buying it specifically for games but i would llike to handle a few of the recent games. And wat about the screen quaility between the brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back