Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Astronomy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking and I came up with this odd vision. In this vision, it was stated, to me that the stars in the universe, not including our sun, are stationary, based on experimental measurements. Example, a photograph of the celestial universe. Therefore, in the last ten years there have not been a measureable change in the positions of the stars. Probably in the last 100 years, since photograph, there hasn't been any changes of position, of the stars, and 1000 years there is no evidence (photography). Isn't the assumed motion of the stars in the universe caused by the earth's daily and yearly rotational motions? How did humans ever get to the moon? But that based on the sun which is not included in this thesis. Can someone explain to me how the distances of the stars, not including the sun, is measured. This in a very perplexing problem that has keep me awake, at night, for at least 10 min, can some help me please. Thank you.

Last edited:
Wow, a whole 10 minutes?
And still you didn't' figure it out after all that time?

:)

Joking, it took many geniuses years to figure this stuff out. Just read up on it. There are plenty of books and on-line documents about this stuff.

Stars do move.
People have drawn star maps for 1000s of years.
Photograph show slight movements, (only 100 years).
The "color shift" of stars tell us if the star is coming closer or going away.
A galaxy spins. Made up of 100000000000000 stars and spins slowly. You will not live long enough to see much movement in the sky.
Go to sleep. The stars are fine.

Ronsimpson.............."The "color shift" of stars tell us if the star is coming closer or going away."

$%^&*^^^........The color shift is caused by the earth's daily and earthly motions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ronsimpson............People have drawn star maps for 1000s years.

$%^&*^^^.......... WhaT, with their pinkie?

Last edited:
Steveb..........I really don't have to since the only way to measure a large distance is triangularization which requires three, count three, points. Name me three points, that are used to determine the distance, from earth, to lets say, Alpha Centuri.

Last edited:
Name me three points, that are used to determine the distance, from earth, to lets say, Alpha Centuri.

The Earth at different times of the year as it orbits the sun.

Read angles from point A wait ~122 days and take a reading again from orbital point B do again in ~122 more days and you now have point C all with millions of miles separating them.

If the object in question can be seen at any time throughout the year it's approximate distance can be calculated fairly accurately even if its hundreds of light years away.

Ronsimpson............People have drawn star maps for 1000s years.

$%^&*^^^.......... WhaT, with their pinkie?

You may want to read up on the layouts of many ancient ruins.

It was common practice for ancient civilizations to lay out their religious and spiritually significant structures on exact alignments to how they saw the stars at the time. On top of that it was also common for them to document the point and purpose of each structure in stone carvings and other similar recording methods that stand the test of time for thousands of years.

Ronsimpson.............."The "color shift" of stars tell us if the star is coming closer or going away."
$%^&*^^^........The color shift is caused by the earth's daily and earthly motions.
Stars in the halo of the Milky Way move at 500 kilometers per second. The galaxy is spinning.
If you are looking at another galaxy, where billions of stars are spinning, some stars will be moving closer and some away at high speeds.
The earth's daily and yearly motions are much smaller.
The color shift is the difference in speed. (speed of star - speed of earth)
upload_2014-4-16_21-42-55.jpeg

Below; push the left or right button.
https://www.classzone.com/books/ear...802/es2802page01.cfm?chapter_no=visualization

ronsimpson........."Stars in the halo of the Milky Way move at 500 kilometers per second. The galaxy is spinning.
If you are looking at another galaxy, where billions of stars are spinning, some stars will be moving closer and some away at high speeds.
The color shift is the difference in speed. (speed of star - speed of earth)"

------------------------------------------------

Again, the color shift is caused by the earth's daily and yearly motions, not the motion of the stars. Also, from where did they take this picture of the Milky Way?

Tcmtech..........."The Earth at different times of the year as it orbits the sun.
Read angles from point A wait ~122 days and take a reading again from orbital point B do again in ~122 more days and you now have point C all with millions of miles separating them.
If the object in question can be seen at any time throughout the year it's approximate distance can be calculated fairly accurately even if its hundreds of light years away."

-------------------------------------------------

The difference of the distance (miles) from the earth to Pluto, compared to the distance from the earth to Alfa Centuri is probably five orders of magnitude. Also, the stars (not including the sun) are not in motion. So, it would be difficult to determine the distance to Alfa Centuri, under these circumstances.

Last edited:
ronsimpson........."Stars in the halo of the Milky Way move at 500 kilometers per second. The galaxy is spinning.
The color shift is the difference in speed. (speed of star - speed of earth)"

------------------------------------------------

Again, the color shift is caused by the earth's daily and yearly motions, not the motion of the stars. Also, from where did they take this picture of the Milky Way?
So stars in a spinning galaxy could be going away at 500 k meters/sec on one side and coming closer on the other side at 500 k. In the center they are going crosswise. (no color shift)

Earth spins at 1000 miles/hour.
The earth goes around the sun at 30 kilometers per second.
So the earth's speed is 1/16 of the effect.

ronsimpson, stars (not including the sun) are to far away to detect any motion (spinning) and , the color shift, of stars, is caused by the earth's daily and yearly motions. Also, where did they get that picture of the Milky Way spinning?

Tcmtech, stone carvings is not far from the pinky theory. Also, it was also a common practice of ancient civilizations to eat humans. Uck!

Last edited:
Not the star spinning. Millions of stars rotating in a group. (galaxy)
upload_2014-4-16_21-42-55-jpeg.85613

Picture below: Start is the top left corner are moving closer. Stars in the bottom right corner are going away.
**broken link removed**

And the next galaxy may be going away from us at a very high rate of speed. (all the stars are moving away, on average)

ronsimpson............."And the next galaxy may be going away from us at a very high rate of speed. (all the stars are moving away, on average)"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Your theory is based on the red shift, on average? If the stars keeps red shifting, on average, will not the stars vanish. Please explain this to me: What shifting red on average, means? I would really like to know? Thank you. Your friend.

Last edited:
The red shift / blue shift has to do with the difference in speed. It has noting to do with distance.
The police have a radar gun that checks for speeding cars. The gun looks for the shift in frequency of radio waves. It can not measure distance. If the radar gun sends 2,400,000hz out and gets back 2,400,010hz (or 2,399,990hz) back then the speed is known. (and direction)

The universe is moving. It is not stationary. If the big bang theory is right the universe is moving outward. It looks like the distance between galaxies is increasing.

Your theory is based on the red shift, on average? If the stars keeps red shifting, on average, will not the stars vanish. Please explain this to me: What shifting red on average, means? I would really like to know? Thank you. Your friend.

He's referring to the "Doppler Effect". Frequencies "shift" (sound, RF, light) as one approaches to (a rise in frequency) or recedes from (a lowering of frequeny) the source.

Interesting name you've chosen, given the topic of your post and the apparent stance you seem to have on that topic.

I'm not being critical, just curious.

What do you define as vanishing and where are they vanishing from?

Being too dim to see with the naked eye or blurred out by variances in atmospheric distortions or what?

cowboybob,.................does the"Doppler Effect", on average, make the stars vanish? Please explain this to me. Copernicus1234.
The Doppler Effect doesn't "make" anything happen. It is simply a detectable shift in frequency caused by the motion of an object relative to another object.

Consider the sound of a locomotive train's horn (the object in motion) as it approaches (a higher frequency sound) and then recedes ( a lower frequency sound) relative to you (the observer {listener, detector, etc.).

Yes, I know what the Doppler effect does. Please explain how the"Doppler Effect" (as applied to stars), on average, produces the motion of stars. Try being a Man not a boy or a women, thank you. Copernicus1234.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back