Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Assistance required on diode choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've been told I need 4x P600 diodes for a modification I wish to carry out on a set of rear lights for my car.

I've done a search on Maplin but can't find anything for P600. I've got some N4001 diodes laying about that I purchased before and was wondering if these would do the same job?

Thanks,
Ant

ahh right, ok. Didn't know that. All these numbers mean very little to me in terms of determining what they do.

So if I look for a 6A rectifier I should have more luck.

Thanks,
Ant

Use google, most parts out there have data sheets available on the net.

If you don't, learn. Fooling around with electronics without knowing what you're doing is a great way to screw something up =)

Is there a jargon buster out there? I've not to date seen a data sheet written in "simple" terms.

Any links you would recommend for picking up the next level on from basics?

There are no more simplified terms, you have to learn what the terms themselves mean. When you get into more advanced digital circuits there is a lot of jargon, but all those complex word for basic electronics actually have real meaning =)

is a good start for basic circuits and meanings. Wikipedia is great for looking up technical words (usually providing example circuits as well)
There's still a lot of information to absorb any way you look at it.

1. P600 A..M > 50..1000V, 6A, A=50V, B=100V, D=200V, G=400V, J=600V, K=800V, M=1000V. Replacements are BY214/.., MR750..760

2. It is possible to use 1N400x but six in parallel for each P600. It's not quite practical but it can do.

Diodes in parallel do not do a good job of sharing current due to their negative temperature coefficient. It should only be done as a last resort.

And with some kind of current balancing, low value resistors are often used.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm only using it for a 12v application so would I be any better off using the P600A over the M? I'm gathering that there would be no difference as they're both grossly overrated for the job.

Grossly over rated is never bad if you have them already. It's just higher cost. Only something you need to worry about in a production environment.

Hi again all. I've got me some P600 diodes now for my project. Chunky little things!

Anyway, I plan to soldered them into the wiring loom and was wondering whether or not I can cover them in anyway as they're on the outside of the car (behind a light cluster though). Can I put heat shrink around them, or electrical tape or anything like that, or is it best to leave them uncovered?

Thanks,
Ant

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back