Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arrrrrrgh!!! Can't remember the "official" name!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowderApe

Grrrr!! I must be going old(er) and (more)senile!!

I need to build a data and power cable for a Garmin III+ GPS unit. It attaches via a 4-pin round connector plug. Female on the cable end and male on the GPS unit itself.

I cant remember the NAME of the connector itself so that I would be able to purchase it from an online supplier!! (I need the technical name such as: a DIN plug, "Molex" plug, etc)

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

This is what it looks like...
**broken link removed**

Thanks Mickster....

Cant find them illustrated on Bulgin's site. They seem to call similar ones as "round female connectors" under "General Purpose Connectors", but the type I need is not found.... ...at least I dont see them....

Any idea as to their classification/name so that I can do an online search??

Have a look at the standard buccaneer series.

I'm only going off similarities from the pic you posted, so could be way off. ;)

There are datasheets available for download, with plug dimensions, so be prepared to get your calipers out...

Bingo!

Right on the nose, Whiz115....

Guess it IS a proprietary connector with GARMIN!

Found a source ( **broken link removed** ) that has them.... Their pre made cables seem to be cheaper already made up than me whipping up a set!!

(Guess I was/am too dang cheap to pay GARMIN the $30 (+tax, +shipping, +"handling") they wanted for their DC car adapter!! This guy has them -already made up- for $7 which is a heck-of-a-lot cheaper than buying the plugs and making up a set myself!)

KUDOs to you guys and a hearty THANKS for the assist!! :D

It could be a Mike plug..... ....that would make life simpler if it was a mike plug!!

I though of that when I was perusing Jameco's catalog, but there werent any pin specs or schematics of dimensions available, but yes, it is a 1/2 inch plug, 4 pin. I'm not sure if the registration slot is located and spaced between 2 of the pins on a mike plug either...

is this your connector?

**broken link removed**

if that is what you want... it is called Garmin 4-pin connector or round plug with 12.7 mm diameter

Garmin GPS 4 PIN round Connector Pinout - AllPinouts

Nice one whiz, I see your search-fu is strong. ;)

@mickster what can i say about your signature? it's interesting...

It is directed at those who simply tear someone else's idea/post/project to pieces, without offering any form of help or constructive criticism.

If they are not going to try to help out, but only point out the negative aspects, then they should keep their opinions to themselves and not make a post.

We are all here to try and learn something. If our concept or fundamental understanding is wrong, a simple correction and an explanation as to why it is wrong is the preferred approach.

Nobody likes to trip in the playground and then get kicked whilst on the ground....

:D

It could be a Mike plug.....

... I'm not sure if the registration slot is located and spaced between 2 of the pins on a mike plug either...

It always used to be. :)

It is directed at those who simply tear someone else's idea/post/project to pieces, without offering any form of help or constructive criticism.

If they are not going to try to help out, but only point out the negative aspects, then they should keep their opinions to themselves and not make a post.

Since all days aren't the same and the intentions aren't always bad.. isn't it ironic in case it happens to you while you advice others not to do it?

Since all days aren't the same and the intentions aren't always bad.. isn't it ironic in case it happens to you while you advice others not to do it?

Ahh, it appears that you wish to make some form of point here....

Please make your point clear and concise, so that it can be properly digested and countered as necessary. ;)

Ahh, it appears that you wish to make some form of point here....

i wish to end it here, our replies started to flood the topic

final words..i agree with the opinions you expressed, some things indeed must be avoided but i don't agree having such signature (with kinda offending last word) since it can accidentally happen to you too and it doesn't need to be intentionally.

i wish to end it here, our replies started to flood the topic

final words..i agree with the opinions you expressed, some things indeed must be avoided but i don't agree having such signature (with kinda offending last word) since it can accidentally happen to you too and it doesn't need to be intentionally.

Since we have both been members for quite some time, each with a limited number of posts in relation to our joining date, I feel that both our replies to the posts of other's are chosen carefully and only made where we feel we can be of proper help.

You may disagree with the last portion of my sig and that is your perogative, but you are the first to offer an objection and I won't be changing it on that basis alone. Sorry if you are offended, but one cannot please everyone.

It obviously does not apply to you, so let those that it does apply to be the ones to worry about it.

Regards.

Well, i'm not keen, but i thought it was just me ...

Okay folks, I'll open a poll in ****-Chat and ask a Mod to clean up this thread. Popular opinion wins. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back