Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are there any "non skeletal" footprint provider websites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hi,
I am doing a 4kW power supply PCB at the moment. There are a lot of footprints to make (Eagle Pro). I will have to hand solder it, and may well have to remove/replace each component multiple times in testing/evaluation.

I downloaded a footprint for a connector from snapEDA….(as attached)…..as you can see, this footprint is totally unsuitable for a prototype where the part may need to be removed/replaced multiple times…the restrings are just 0.15mm….the first time this is desoldered, those pads will be ripped off.

This footprint is totally unuseable…..are there any of the free footprint providers who do footprints that are good for extensive PCB testing?…….i would say that even for a production board, a 0.15mm restring is totally unsuitable….especially where there’s room for a much bigger restring?

Attachments

• footprint _header.jpg
    footprint _header.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 223
If it's a PTH board the pad size should not be too critical, as long as you use good desoldering techniques, as the largest area of connection is inside the holes.
Most pad arrays on 0.1" pitch are sized to allow track between pads, which means the pad size must be restricted.

For prototypes that need frequent connections, use sockets!

I don't use Eagle, but in EasyEDA you can simply select all the pads and adjust the diameter and hole size of all in one go, then save the modified footprint.

Thanks, i also noticed that footprint had a 1.04mm drill hole....whereas i try to limit the number of different hole sizes on a PCB......and the lettering was in "proportional" style....in Eagle, "proportional" style lettering is not safe....it ends up on the board in a different place to where it is on the PCB layout program........."proportional" looks neater than "vector" font, but has this problem.

So this is other reasons why this "footprint import" idea, doesnt seem to work for us...it needs too much checking and changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back