Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

Just got my first Arduino Mega 2560, it came with my 3d printer and firmware, and only 50% full! Already i want to get in to code and "improve"!
Rite now i am using just basic compiler (i think), but want something with debug & watch features , is this possible? right now all compiler tells me is most basic summary of build error, it does not even mention line numbers...
is there better?

There are several such IDEs out there, but think AVR Studio 7 is probably the most popular.
http://www.atmel.com/microsite/atmel-studio/

Be advised that it takes a long time to install along with other sub program it needs from other sources.
Also when starting up, it can again take a long time to start ( depending on the power of your pc); thereafter its fast and has the full features you want.

However make it easy to run the Arduino you need to add and Use the Visual Micro plug in, which is mostly free, but to use its full debugger features you have to pay a small-ish fee . However try it all out first to ensure its the right program for you before buying the full debugger feature.
http://www.visualmicro.com/

Plenty of tutorials for Studio 6/7 on ytube

000152.jpg

Last edited:
hey 40$ is no worry for such a debugger, thanks! i can tell this is going to be sweet!

but i have one problem, I can see the plugin attached to vs2013, and atml studio installed ok too,
i think its working since as far as i can tell it is attaching to the device,
but when i import code problems happen:
1) in Visual Basic --
Error 4 169:13: error: 'HardwareSerial' has not been declared C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\evqvbnsz.a10\Micro Platforms\default\debuggers\VM_DBG\VM_DBG.h 169

--- Here is first call to this line:

#if defined(VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE) && VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE == VM_DEBUGGER_TYPE_HARDWARESERIAL

#if defined( DEFAULT_TO_TINY_DEBUG_SERIAL ) && DEFAULT_TO_TINY_DEBUG_SERIAL
TinyDebugSerial *transport;
void begin(TinyDebugSerial *theSerial);
void begin(TinyDebugSerial *theSerial, long baud);
#else
HardwareSerial *transport;
void begin(HardwareSerial *theSerial);
void begin(HardwareSerial *theSerial, unsigned long baud);
#endif
#endif

2) in ATML Studio -- config.h cant be found (and i think others H's are missing too), also i cant figure out how to add it in...

Sorry, only a beginner with Studio/VM/C++, have not a clue as to your problem.

Hopefully others will be able to help...

Hey no worry! I just appricate this discovery!

i got the glitch figured out, but now have some more, im sure ill figure it out!
thnx again!

HEY! still cant get this going! I got the visual Micro in VB and the atmega2560 hooked up on usb
using adruino software I am able to build with the avrISP mkII, but when i try on VB, I get error:
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

I selected the right ports and board, is there more settings i am missing, or maybe special hardware is required?

what could i be missing !!??
thanks!

gotit!

all i was missing was that i had to uncheck "always use programmer for upload" !!!!!

not as smooth as vb debugging but good enough !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back