• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino Nano to Teensy 3.2 , simple ??

Wp100

Thread starter #1
Hi,

Am developing a project using a Nano board converted to 3v3 so it can drive the TFT etc direct without any level converters.

All is well, but to complete the project it will need a lot more program memory as the TFT and Touch screen and other libraries use a lot of space.

Need to keep the boards footprint small so a Mega2560 would be way too big.

Have heard of the Teensy boards but never really looked at them, though they do say you can run them from the Arduino IDE ( or Studio 7 ?)

Can I literally load my existing Nano code onto say a Teensy 3.2 and away we go, with perhaps just some port reallocation etc ?

Have seen the Teensy site and forum but first just looking for a simple yea or ney to guide me in the right direction.

I have used a Teensy-LC. With regard to your general question, my answer is a definite yea. To easily use the Arduino IDE, I loaded up Teensyduino one time and the rest was transparent. I have not used it extensively but did do a project with one and simply had no problems. At one time, I had planned on using their recommended and improved I2C library but ended up just using the old wire library. I also have used a U8g2 lib with a super cheap OLED and, again, no problems.

Hope this helps.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Various of the Arduino libraries include options for the Teensy, so there should be no problem - although you might need to make small changes for any specific Arduino hardware you might be using.

Ian Rogers

User Extraordinaire
Forum Supporter
Most Helpful Member
I have two systems up and running.... A pic32 ( chipkit ) and a mega2560.. One has a 320x240 and the other is a 480x272 the code to run each is virtually identical.. I can even have two sketches open connected to the relevant board and work side by side..

Even the hardware is taken out of the equation if you keep to the "Arduino" pin numbering system..

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
I have two systems up and running.... A pic32 ( chipkit ) and a mega2560.. One has a 320x240 and the other is a 480x272 the code to run each is virtually identical.. I can even have two sketches open connected to the relevant board and work side by side..

Even the hardware is taken out of the equation if you keep to the "Arduino" pin numbering system..
Again, the ChipKit is supported by many Arduino libraries - I bought a ChipKit a while back, but haven't had much time to play with it - apart from making sure it worked.

How do you find the speed comparison of the two boards?.

Ian Rogers

User Extraordinaire
Forum Supporter
Most Helpful Member
How do you find the speed comparison of the two boards?.
The chipkit32 max was on a different planet.. Screen updates from external flash, full screen 480x272, was instant... It made a great little system.

BUT!!!! The teensy 3.6 will be even faster... It has a full SD interface ( 4 bit ) and it runs at 180Mhz rather than pic32's 80Mhz..

I am awaiting its arrival!

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
The chipkit32 max was on a different planet.. Screen updates from external flash, full screen 480x272, was instant... It made a great little system.

BUT!!!! The teensy 3.6 will be even faster... It has a full SD interface ( 4 bit ) and it runs at 180Mhz rather than pic32's 80Mhz..

I am awaiting its arrival!
Nice - please let us know how it compares.

DirtyLude

If you want fast and in a smaller form factor than the mega, I have used the ESP32 with a TFT and the Arduino environment. It is also super fast and has a lot of memory to spare.

Ian Rogers

User Extraordinaire
Forum Supporter
Most Helpful Member
Nice - please let us know how it compares.
Well!!! It arrived.. I have to try and get the teensy core embedded into Arduino IDE.. It will only work with certain Arduino IDE versions..

I have now installed the latest IDE, but I think I've lost the chipkit core in the process...

The teensy 3.6 is sporting a 4 bit SD card interface... I have located SDfat on the GitHub and have copied the libraries in.

There is a guy on the PJR forum that has ported the UTFT library across.... It will be interesting to see how fast the SD access is...

Keep you posted..

Ian Rogers

User Extraordinaire
Forum Supporter
Most Helpful Member
Yes! but you just switch when you are ready to program.... It only compiles the active window..

I use "side by side" so I can copy code from one to the other! I am developing two systems.. One pic32 based, one Mega based..
But they are identical in operation.... Now I am going to use the teensy as the 32 bit one as it has some eeprom... Pic 32 uses flash and its difficult to manage... I usually reserve a tiny bit of flash, but i use MikroE and they keep messing it up.. Hence Arduino...

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles