Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino javascript

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
Anyone played with this?
Apparently Johnny 5 is a package that allows you to run javascript on a computer via a browser, and control an arduino directly via its usb/serial.
You can do basic stuff with a local pc/mac/phone and a 'duino, I was wondering if it could be used with an esp8266, so the 'webpage' could be uploaded by the esp itself using spiffs and then interact with the browser running said code, meaning the system could run over the WWW.

I have a Wemos mini that acts as a server and serves a webpage that contains javascript. There are lots of examples available of how to do this. You don't need any additional software, just the Arduino IDE.

Remember, javascript just runs (is interpreted) in a browser. The browser can be on any machine. If Johnny 5 says it enables this then it's lying.

Mike.

Yes I have written a couple of programs for the esp device, and used spiffs to hold a webpage, its cool.
I was interested in this as the general concept is that the microcontroller itself runs the javascript rather than the usual C or assembler, I liked the idea of that.
J5 dies say that the 'duino doesnt actually run the code, the browser does and controls the 'duino's i/o, and kinda makes it appear like the 'duino is running the script.
Being able to do this via the web with an esp would be cool, the more I look at it though it does look like the code running on the 'duino is meant for the At328 not the esp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back