Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino and composite colour video

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
Has anyone played with this?
I'd like to experiment generating colour bars with the arduino.
B&W has allready been done, and colour on some other chips.
Timer 2 could be used to generate a digital output for the colour burst and chrominance / saturation signal, that is if a tv would accept squarewave chrominance, and if pulse width would work for the saturation signal.
And to generate luminance say of 4 levels 2 other pins could be used with a simple r-2r ladder, this and the chrominance part can be mixed and buffered with a tranny, ok mixing levels would need to be carefully arranged.
Ok the chip might not be able to do a lot else, but this is an interesting idea to play with for some.
Things would get a little more complex for pal, but ntsc shouldnt be so hard.

Use the chip to generate RGB signals, and an RGB/PAL(NTSC) chip to generate the composite video - I have a colour bar generator that uses a PIC to do just that.

Well the idea was to get to grips with colour encoding/decoding, however following up your suggestion I found analogue devices do the ad724, which does as you say accept RGB and individual sync, then converts that to pal video, that would kinda take out a whole load of headache coding wise, wouldnt even need to mess about with vert sync, I did that in asm with the pic and it was really hard to get my vintage tv to work with it.
Might make a colour bar gen to go with my homebrew crt checker.

Dont worry it doesnt stuff mains on the cathode or anything mad like that, and its not a bulb bopper.
I didnt build it, it was given to me by a tv repair shop I used to be freindly with, I think he built it from the old 'televison' magazine, and it was a while back a couple of the caps have failed since I've had it.
One good thing about it is the filament voltage is continuously adjustable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back