Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Approval Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermaine

where can i locate the international approval certificate like in USA, there is UL and in canada, there is CSA? PLease advise the world wide international approval around the world. Thanks.

shermaine said:
where can i locate the international approval certificate like in USA, there is UL and in canada, there is CSA? PLease advise the world wide international approval around the world. Thanks.

As far as I'm aware there is no 'world wide international' approval?, just ones on a country by country basis.

The UK used to be BEAB, and Germany was DIN (I think?) - but things seem to have gone very vague these days?.

CE is used across the EU, but isn't really an approval mark?, it's only to do with interference (either to or from an item), and is self certified, with no testing required. The Chinese put he CE mark on anything, regardless of it's compliance!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
CE is used across the EU, but isn't really an approval mark?, it's only to do with interference (either to or from an item), and is self certified, with no testing required.

Not quite.

The CE mark indicates that the item complies with all applicable European directives. I have a highlighter pen here which is CE marked, I have no idea what directives apply to that but is is certainly none of:
EMC, Low Voltage, ATEX, Machinery!

It is true that the EMC compliance is "complaint driven" which means you can get away with all sorts of cr*p like see through PC cases until someone complains about the (RF) noise coming from the thing.

Decent companies will test their products for compliance.

JimB

CSA doesn't apply to electrical/electronic items in Canada anymore. CSA is too busy fighting lawsuits from things they approved years ago that are killing people today.
CSA is in bed with the USA's UL now with exactly the same requirements for approval, and the approval label is a big UL in a circle with a little "c" on one side and "us" on the other. :lol:

JimB said:
[The CE mark indicates that the item complies with all applicable European directives. I have a highlighter pen here which is CE marked, I have no idea what directives apply to that but is is certainly none of:
EMC, Low Voltage, ATEX, Machinery!

It's often applied (regardless of any tests) to ANYTHING, but as far as I'm aware is solely related to interference?.

Decent companies will test their products for compliance.

Rather a naive way to look at it :)

Perhaps you would care to list companies who meet your criteria?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back