Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Apprentice in desperate need of Ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbobsimmonds

im new to these forums so would just like to say hello...

ive spent a good hour or so googling and found this site and spent the last 20minutes reading through this site and am impressed at how active and helpful people are.

anyhow basically i am a electronics engineering apprentice for a UK defence company (Prizes for guessing which one) and as part of my qualification i have got to come up with a personal project, electronics based and would be even better if it had a useful work application (again, sometimes the type of work my company does can make even using basic work related things in my project difficult)...

i dont think the idea has got to be too difficult as it is "Only" 120 hours worth of work but does anyone have any ideas? because i am up a creek without a paddle when it comes just to getting an idea!

any help would be great through either PMs or replies on this forum...

Thanks
jimbob

Hi Jim Bob,

so what are your questions? Development of a new and more effective kind of weapon?

Except for the threat title I can't see any question.

Boncuk

First, we dont really know your level of ability so the suggestions may be too hard or too simple.

Anyway, I will pitch in with an idea.

How about a device for matching resistors.
Say you need two 1k resistors which are matched within +/- 0.5%, but all you have is a load of 1K 2% resistors.
Make a test jig to allow easy sorting within a narrow range.

I can think of at least two ways of doing it, one all hardware using voltage comparators, the other using a microcontroller with an ADC.

Anybody else with an idea?

JimB

Ok... "useful work application" what about some type of all-purpose programmable tester? This is something that's been on my to-do list for years.

Basically it's a little box with lights/LCD display etc and some test leads. Then you program it by switches/knobs or by menu to test a specific thing, in a specific range.

It's for production runs, like when you are making a batch of units (or testing resistors as JimB suggested) you program in the parameters and it gives a nice quick low/good/high indication, even with a added beep if you like so you don't have to turn your head to look at it.

There's nothing more annoying than having to test 100 PCBs for "make sure the voltage on IC2 pin 26 is >4.2v when you press button 3..."

ahh good points...

essentially it is for my BTEC in the 2nd year of my apprenticeship. in terms of ability i dont like to blow my own trumpet but as a group we're not too shabby and will be perfectly capable with basic electronics and will have a good crack with intermediate level things...

i work 4 days a week at BAE then a day a week at college when i have 3 hours a week towards my 120 hour project...

Last edited:
Ok... "useful work application" what about some type of all-purpose programmable tester? This is something that's been on my to-do list for years.

Basically it's a little box with lights/LCD display etc and some test leads. Then you program it by switches/knobs or by menu to test a specific thing, in a specific range.

It's for production runs, like when you are making a batch of units (or testing resistors as JimB suggested) you program in the parameters and it gives a nice quick low/good/high indication, even with a added beep if you like so you don't have to turn your head to look at it.

There's nothing more annoying than having to test 100 PCBs for "make sure the voltage on IC2 pin 26 is >4.2v when you press button 3..."

exactly the sort of thing i am looking for!!!!!

could you go into a little bit more detail about what you mean and what might be involved so i can get the ball rolling with circuit ideas etc first thing tomorrow? like what parameters could be measured etc etc

thanks, jimbob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back