Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Appreciating your job

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do we stay at one job for years? Easy. Buy a house with huge mortgage payments, a new car with high car payments, start a family and try to keep up with those expenses. Then, look at how much your benifits would cost if you quit ( healthcare, etc ) Soon, you'll realize there is no other choice.

Good luck :)
~Danny - Out of work ASIC designer.
Uuuh, not quite! Doing all of the above simply locks you into the dire need to work 40hrs a week or more for a very long time. Furthermore that's flying through life blindedly IMHO. Ideally, when we stay at a job for many years it should be from the fact that there is a symbiotic, beneficial relationship between you and your employer that goes beyond simply paying your living expenses. A good company allows you to grow and in return, your efforts provide growth for the company making you a valuable asset. Only a fool spends beyond his financial means, creating the nasty vortex of being a trapped or enslaved employee.

Who said anything about spending beyone his financial means? Most people have a mortgate,car payment, trying to feed a bunch of hungry mouths, saving for college.... sad fact, but the price tag of just living keeps rising faster than wages. Along with rising prices, jobs becomes more and more unstable. When the bills come rolling in, your job gets easier to appreciate. That's life. Unless you're living in some fairy-tale.

Last edited:
Hey,

On a different matter, I wanted to ask you guys something.
Sometimes I get to work a bit from home, like talking over the Skype to factories' representatives, checking designs with some design SW and such.

The way I get paid in my job is by writing down my working hours.
If i got to work 45 minutes some day from home, and on another day 1 hour, is it accepted to write down those periods, even though they are short?
(I'm not talking about working 4 hours continuously from home or long periods like that).

--
I must say that its a start-up, so I'm afraid that my boss would see it as lack of commitment to the company.
Since as you know, Its very common in startups to do some work at home.

Last edited:
I really don't understand the issue. You write down what you do. Where is the problem? BTW, I would love to find a way to work from home. Been racking my brain trying to figure that out. I have everything: computer equipment, a laboratory, test equipment, shop equipemet. Everything but an opportunity.

Last edited:
I really don't understand the issue. You write down what you do. Where is the problem? BTW, I would love to find a way to work from home. Been racking my brain trying to figure that out. I have everything: computer equipment, a laborotory, test equipment, shop equipemet. Everything but an opportunity.

How about consultant work? Advertise on the web.

Mike, man I would love to do something like that. The hardest part is just getting started. I've been working for the man for so long, that's all I know.

I really don't understand the issue. You write down what you do. Where is the problem? BTW, I would love to find a way to work from home. Been racking my brain trying to figure that out. I have everything: computer equipment, a laboratory, test equipment, shop equipemet. Everything but an opportunity.
From what you indicate, you have the opportunity. What's missing is the application(s) ... that's what you need to figure out.

I started developing a product today that I've been thinking about for weeks. It's based on the Joule Thief. People think that's a crude little toy to play with, but in fact, it's simplicity is based on an elegant operation mode. I can't tell you what the product is... yet. Details coming soon...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back