Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Application Specific IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Goodwin said:
Electrostatic said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
A specific IC would only be good for the specific purpose it was designed, there 'may' be something available, but we would need to know EXACTLY, and I mean EXACTLY! what you are trying to do.

I don't see much relevence between multiplexing and your controller?.

Im trying to recreate the playstation controller into two separate gloves using pressure sensors for both of the gloves. In other words one hand will do the directional section and the other hand will do the buttons. So, the controller is being split in half but i trying to think of a way in which to combine the two separate gloves to form one data line.

As I suggested above, multiplexing isn't what you want!.

You just do as the existing controller presumably does?, have the sensors feeding one micro-controller, which sends one data stream.

Do you know all the protocols used by the original controller?, you're going to have to know them to make your own from scratch!.

In the original controller there are 9 cables attached to the controller circuitry board and the other end would connect to the pin outs of the playstation. Now im thinking that each finger will have its own cable making a total of 9 fingers using 9 cable which in then are going to be connected to a microntroller circuitry but then at the other end of the microcontroller circuitry board i have to combine those cables wouldn't i so that it connects to the pin outs of the playstation. Unless i have 9 cables going in the microntroller and 9 cables coming out and connect to the pins.

Also when your saying protocols what are you referring to the way in which the playstation and controller communicate. I already know that fact.

Electrostatic said:
Also when your saying protocols what are you referring to the way in which the playstation and controller communicate. I already know that fact.

If you've got the communication sorted, then that should be all you need - just use a micro-controller (PIC or whatever you prefer) to read the buttons and transmit the data. I'm presuming it's some sort of syncronous serial protocol because you mentioned CLK and DATA earlier?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Electrostatic said:

If you've got the communication sorted, then that should be all you need - just use a micro-controller (PIC or whatever you prefer) to read the buttons and transmit the data. I'm presuming it's some sort of syncronous serial protocol because you mentioned CLK and DATA earlier?.

Yes the playstation and the controller send and receive serially.

Hey Nigel this is the information i got from the scope when measuring the playstation voltage level. Check out the attachment for it ok!!! and then give me your feedback.....

Attachments

• psx_info.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 225
Hey Nigel this is another post with some more different information of Clock with Attn. This information is outputted from a 74LS245 Octal buffer.

Attachments

• psx_with_clock_and_attn.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 158
EEK! It is a DOC. :(

Does anybody know how to setup my MS Word 2002 SP3 so that it shows pics and schematics? This one shows many blank pages but if I right-click on them and select Show Picture Toolbar, I can see an outline where a pic should be, then I can move the toolbar out of the way and select Reset Picture to see the pic. I must do this on each page.

Electrostatic said:
Hey Nigel this is the information i got from the scope when measuring the playstation voltage level. Check out the attachment for it ok!!! and then give me your feedback.....

Have you tried drawing out the complete circuit of an existing controller?, hopefully that should give you some clue as to what's going on?. A circuit of the input section of the Playstation would be useful as well!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Electrostatic said:

Have you tried drawing out the complete circuit of an existing controller?, hopefully that should give you some clue as to what's going on?. A circuit of the input section of the Playstation would be useful as well!.

Nope i haven't done that. My partner and I finally figured out that the playstation is no good. So we got another playstation and decided to test out the voltage readings and it came out good. I'll post it up soon to show you and so you can give me some feedback on it. I think the problem was that we some how crossed the wires by mistake and so something must have happened that ended up giving some strange voltage readings. When we used another playstation the readings came out good. More will come. Question? How much PSI do you think that i would need in order to implement on the pressure sensors? I would like to know how much pressure would need to be applied to the pressure sensor or in order words how much i need.

Hey I have a question here for Nigel. Hey Nigel I took this waveform from my oscilloscope and i wanted to know if you know why it would be that clock pulse would increase from 250KHz to 960KHz. Because of this the program that was written is acting funny.... Here is a picture

Attachments

• clock_increasing_frequency.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back