Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Appliance recycling centers for minors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob

I'm trying to find recycling center or a junk shop or something to get used or broken electronics such as microwaves. I even tried driving around my neighborhood for people throwing out stuff. Goodwill and stores like that are fine, but does anyone have ideas on where I could check? I'm willing to drive a good distance. Also would places like junk yards accept minors as I am one.
Thank you,
Ben

Where I live (Bedford Heights, Ohio) we can't place electronics on the tree lawn as garbage. The city has a place we take them to. Not that the city wants them but they try to control what finds its way to land fill.
I even tried driving around my neighborhood for people throwing out stuff.
That is likely your best bet. Thinking about it my own rules may have changed because a neighbor dragged an old rear projection TV out to the tree lawn and it disappeared. I assume the trash guy took it unless someone grabbed it. Wealthier neighborhoods put out much better quality junk too. They simply replace without a thought or repair. :)

Ron

Where I live (Bedford Heights, Ohio) we can't place electronics on the tree lawn as garbage. The city has a place we take them to. Not that the city wants them but they try to control what finds its way to land fill.

That is likely your best bet. Thinking about it my own rules may have changed because a neighbor dragged an old rear projection TV out to the tree lawn and it disappeared. I assume the trash guy took it unless someone grabbed it. Wealthier neighborhoods put out much better quality junk too. They simply replace without a thought or repair. :)

Ron
Alright, thank you Ron. I appreciate the help.

Hi Ben, does your school have any kind of physical/virtual message board system?
A simple message such as "Broken electronics wanted - will pick up" might get you some useful bits n bobs.

One place to look is at computer recyclers. Many of these places take in far more than computers and sell a lot of the oddball stuff "as is". I go to our local recycler when I'll looking for a largish enclosure to repurchase or to restock my supply of "wall wart" power supplied.

One great find there was a box of 5", 12 volt muffin fans with grills for 50 cents each. I don't know what they were removed from but they were filthy with greasy dust. I used 16 of these to built a column of fans to put in the sliding glass door – blowing air out the door, drawing from the bedroom window, is a quick way to cool down the house.

One place to look is at computer recyclers. Many of these places take in far more than computers and sell a lot of the oddball stuff "as is". I go to our local recycler when I'll looking for a largish enclosure to repurchase or to restock my supply of "wall wart" power supplied.

One great find there was a box of 5", 12 volt muffin fans with grills for 50 cents each. I don't know what they were removed from but they were filthy with greasy dust. I used 16 of these to built a column of fans to put in the sliding glass door – blowing air out the door, drawing from the bedroom window, is a quick way to cool down the house.
Well there is a computer fix it shop down the road. Don’t know if that’s the same though.

Wow, I regularly see microwaves and such out for pickup on trash night. I know there's a couple of guys that make the rounds to pickup scrap metal and some appliances. I've seen plenty of stuff go before the actual trash pickup.

Craigslist also has a "Free" section that usually has broken/disused electronics.

Wow, I regularly see microwaves and such out for pickup on trash night. I know there's a couple of guys that make the rounds to pickup scrap metal and some appliances. I've seen plenty of stuff go before the actual trash pickup.

Craigslist also has a "Free" section that usually has broken/disused electronics.
I just got a few microwaves from Facebook marketplace for like 5 bucks I think that is what I’ll be doing from now on. Craigslist will be looked at tomorrow
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back