Anyone tried used etchant as stump killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did IB (International Baccalaureate) Biology, and I'm between my first and second years studying biochemistry at university (though so far it's been almost entirely about humans).

It's been a while but I believe species are classified by:

kingdom --> phyllum --> class --> order --> family --> genus --> species

I may be missing a couple of steps though, I seem to remember there were 9 stages.

Last edited:
It looks like it's worked.

All the other trees have been in leaf for weeks, the other laburnum tress are in flower yet there's no sign of life from the stump and the bark as starting peeling.

Now I've just got remove the stump which is going to be hard work.

I'm an avid aquarist. Copper sulfate is used to treat many diseases that tropical fish get (external parasites, fungal infections, lots of things). It has the unfortunate effect of also killing your biological filter. It will also kill any corals, anemones, shrimp, crabs, or other invertebrates very quickly as invertebrates have extremely high sensitivity to copper compared to vertebrates. And it will definitely kill algae too. There are also strict dosing guidelines, as too much will kill the fish as well (but the levels required to kill the fish are much higher than for the rest). For these reasons most people who use copper sulfate as a treatment move the fish to a separate "hospital tank" so as not to destroy their main display tank.

Also, the preferred doorknob material in hosipitals and other large buildings is brass. The copper content in the brass causes the doorknob to self-sterilize in about eight hours and it helps cut down on disease transmission.

Now, you just need a big bag of Potassium Nitrate to soak into the stump and you can set it on fire to get rid of it.

Mike.

I think I've heard of some stainless steels used in hospitols incorporating a bit of copper for the same reason.

.... the brambles in my garden are beyond hope. Every year or two I dig them all up, getting ....

I watered my thistles last summer. With a kettle of boiling water. It was most effective the thistles retreated back to next doors

...I chopped it down, drilled loads of holes in the stump and filled the holes with the used solution.... hopefully it's gone for good.... I've covered it with a bucket..

The picture was just as I imagined except lots more holes . you must hate that tree. Anyway if you take a slice of the drilled stump it would make a fine speaker grille, no ?

Last edited:
...I chopped it down, drilled loads of holes in the stump and filled the holes with the used solution.... hopefully it's gone for good.... I've covered it with a bucket..

The picture was just as I imagined except lots more holes . you must hate that tree. Anyway if you take a slice of the drilled stimp it would make a fine speaker grille, no ?

Lol.

I actually like Laburnum, it's just they're invasive and there's already one in the garden which I haven't and won't chop down.

Here's a picture on Wikipedia.
**broken link removed**
Laburnum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I won't post a picture of the one in the garden because it doesn't look so good after I heavily pruned it last winder, it'll take a couple of years before it looks as good as the one in Wikipedia.

You can actually buy copper stakes that you pound into the stump and by the following spring the whole root system will pull up without trouble.

Hi hero999,

I guess it's not a good idea to work with chemicals in the garden.

If you want to kill the stump just hammer some fairly big copper nails into it. Dig a hole near the stump to get at least one nail underneath the garden soil into it.

The stumps' juices will work together with the copper and the stump will die.

I tried that method with a big oak tree obstructing the way for my garage. According to federal law I didn't get permission to cut the tree.

The tree died within one year.

Another method. Dig it out.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…