Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone KNow what Motor this is

Status
Not open for further replies.

seis78

Hello everyone, Does anyone know what stepper motor this is?
Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 252
Hello everyone, Does anyone know what stepper motor this is?
Thanks for your help

There is a zillion models and manufactures of stepper motors, it would not be possible to give you a specific model number from just that picture. However it looks like a very standard type that was used to step the heads in 5 inch floppy disk drives.

Lefty

Does anyone know what stepper motor this is?
What makes you think that it is a stepper motor?
It is nicely mounted on a wooden base with a meter and two terminals.
My best guess is that it is a simple DC motor, a stepper motor would require 4 or more connections.

JimB

I just don't know what model it is. I have this stepper motor **broken link removed**
I use it to make generators. I would like to get more power. I can make a trippler, but don't want to loose on amps. So I am seeking a better stepper motor. Any suggestions?? These are ran by Steam engines, stationary so they can't have much torque. Thanks

Yeah it's a NEMA size 17 motor, single stack.

Agree completely. I believe it is a TECO 4H series which I have worked with before. This has obviously been repainted for cosmetic purposes as it comes painted black from the factory.

ID this Motor?

I don't know, but it sure is purdy!:D

Agree completely. I believe it is a TECO 4H series which I have worked with before. This has obviously been repainted for cosmetic purposes as it comes painted black from the factory.
I've searched online for that model and can't find a site. I did find one but the stepping angle is 1.8 Degree. I need somehting with something like 3.9 degree.
Thanks for all your help. I've been working on this for some time now.:)

Why do you need 3.9 degrees? It's a stepping motor, you turn it as many degrees as you need. All the free/hobby/pro CNC software lets you specify variables for steps/inch so it doesn't matter what the motor does.

RB is right, you can make it step at any interval. Sites like these has free software links

**broken link removed**

the stepping angle is not important

Last edited:
RB is right, you can make it step at any interval. Sites like these has free software links

**broken link removed**

the stepping angle is not important

Hello, Why isn't the stepping angle not important? If you can explain this to me that would be great. I used an 1.8 degree angle once and the steam engine just couldn't spin it, too much torque.Thanks for your help

I understand, I was just focusing on the motor id, had not read the use you were giving it. RB & I were just stating that you could use a 1.8 as a 3.9 by programming to spin at that interval. In your case that is not an option since you drive it with a motor. The interval in your case is important, as the more steps, the more internal resistance the motor will have.
I am pretty sure that is a TECO motor, probably an old one of the 4H series.

I'm sorry seis78, I didn't see that it was for a generator. I'd like to see a picture of the setup when you get the steam engine driving a stepper generator.

These are great little generators (ie brushless, good power at low revs, high magnetic fields etc). It's a shame people don't use them for generators more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back