Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone have a schematic for a hollywood style cracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostrafus

Aiight, a buddy of mine is going to be making a movie when he gets into college (should be in about a year) and I wanted to be prepared since I'm supposed to be playing a badass-MoFo who kicks the **** out of a bunch of people with guns, martial arts, and high tech toys (Not too far from the truth :D ...being serious...).

So I wanted to have one of my toys be one of those hollywood style door lock crackers, you know, the ones that just send random numbers for a few seconds, and then one by one the numbers lock, until the end, then the light turns green, and the device beeps, and the door unlocks (riiiight... like that's realistic...)

So I wanted to know if anyone had a schematic for one of these.

I'm not sure how to do random numbers, but here's a way to just have it count up constantly.

You're gonna want an oscillator and some counters, plus a 7-seg led driver. I don't know part numbers for these offhand, but you could have the oscillator connected to every digit of the display, and for the 10's digit you divide the clock by 10 (with a 4017), then for the 100's digit you divide it by 100 (by 10 twice) and so on.

You could also do it with microcontrollers.

here is how i think of it.
use some high frequency clock signals for each digit. then use a counter that will count to the maximum number of digits and have a flip flop on each digit wich will be triggered by it and then that digit will stop from counting.
this way you get a random number,......
if you want to get a specific number......hm....it is gonna be preety complicated.....

hmm how about a PIC or any MCU and some 7 Segment displays, this gives you the maximum flexibility to control the display however you want it ;)

Linux

Well I was going to use a few 7 segment displays, that's one necessary part, I was hoping someone already thought of this and a schematic was available, but I guess I'll have to keep digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back