Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone got any ides with these components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Wenden

I have:
1x Alarmclock transformer
1x 330v 1oouf capacitor
1x 330v 80uf capacitor
1x Red 10 module led bar graph
3x Breadboards
1x 9v battery
1x 9v clip
10x Green led's
Lots of resistors
Lots of wire

I am hoping to build a charging circuit for the cap's
and using the bar graph as a charge meter,
but am not confident to design it myself,
don't mind buying ic's,
if you come up with anything or find anything please reply to this thread

Thanks In Advance,
Jason

Last edited:
Welcome to ETO, Jason!

Not sure I understand your goal(s).

All you wish to do is monitor the charging of some capacitors?

Ordinarily, caps charge so fast that an LED bar graph would (using, say, an LM3914 driver) essentially, instantly be fully lit up.

For your own peace of mind I'd remove the personal email address as this will make you vulnerable to contact from Spambots and undesirables. If people need to get in touch on this forum we have the "Start Personal Conversation" option under your user name link. This forum will then provide the necessary privacy your personal email address deserves. Your call on whether you choose this option.

Not sure I understand your goal(s).
what i want to do is to charge the caps using the 9v battery through the transformer reversed
so that i can power up another project
broke my multimeter last week(stepped on it)so cant use,

Any Help Appreciated XD

If I understand you correctly, what you're aiming for is an inverter circuit to convert 9V DC to something like 300V DC. Are you aware of the risks involved? A 100uF cap charged up to 300V could KILL YOU !!

If I understand you correctly, what you're aiming for is an inverter circuit to convert 9V DC to something like 300V DC. Are you aware of the risks involved? A 100uF cap charged up to 300V could KILL YOU !!

i understand the risks, but i need to make a charger circuit for my coil gun.

plus, i wear thick rubber gloves. 1/4' thick

Last edited:
i understand the risks, but i need to make a charger circuit for my coil gun.

plus, i wear thick rubber gloves. 1/4' thick
i salvaged these from a disposeable camera each but threw away the charge circuits(and cant get more camera's for a while)

ty in adv
Jay

Last edited:
Forrest Mims had a nice LED bar graph (you could use individual LED's) in the RadioShack series he published. Something similar is here on page 68:
**broken link removed**

You will need a comparator.

John

Forrest Mims had a nice LED bar graph (you could use individual LED's) in the RadioShack series he published. Something similar is here on page 68:
**broken link removed**

You will need a comparator.

John
i already have the bar graph... please read the post and all comments first

Yes, you had the component, but there was no indication in your post that you had any clue how to use it. That is why I bothered to look up the link for you.

Good luck.

John

Yes, you had the component, but there was no indication in your post that you had any clue how to use it. That is why I bothered to look up the link for you.

Good luck.

John
yeah i do know how to use most of the components e.g the transformer inverted, the leds the bar graph, im just not very good with ic's and the circuit designing side

...i need to make a charger circuit for my coil gun.
OK. Now we know the load.

Do you know (or can you find out) what are the energy requirements of the coil gun? That is, voltage level (E) times current (I) to calculate Watts, times the duration of the pulse (in seconds), needed to have the coil gun operate as expected? This value is usually expressed in Joules (or, perhaps, just ergs [0.000001 joules). This value will determine the circuit design utilizing the components you have on hand, plus whatever else is needed.

You need to replace your multimeter.

See: https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/electric/Watt_to_Joule.htm

OK. Now we know the load.

Do you know (or can you find out) what are the energy requirements of the coil gun?
i don't have a clue, and don't know how to work it out, all i know is that it runs off both these caps in parralel
1 is 330wv 100uf
1 is 330wv 80uf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back