Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone else wake at a odd time each night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last few months i have been in bed at a reasonable time. But most nights around 11:45 i wake up really thirsty, then i cant sleep until around 2am, does anyone else wake up at roughly the same time every night?

I know loads of people wake in the night, but i seem to wake at pretty much the same time every night, i am also extremely thirsty even though i have a drink before bed.

Excessive thirst is one symptom of diabetes. Excessive urination is another. The problem with the latter is you don't know what's "excessive" when it comes on slowly.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetic-coma/basics/symptoms/con-20025691

Excessive thirst is one symptom of diabetes. Excessive urination is another. The problem with the latter is you don't know what's "excessive" when it comes on slowly.

Normal once or twice a night on a consistent schedule over long period of time is considered a normal thing for many. Some people just have small bladders.

Some nights I just have to keep getting up and going. Glass of water by the bed keeps me topped up. Usually I'm just a once a night kind of guy (or gel, remembering my gendernomity...). I reckon it just depends on what I've eaten.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetic-coma/basics/symptoms/con-20025691
Thanks for that, i went to the docs just to check, apparently i have high blood sugar! So i have to fast tomorrow and go back friday morning for another blood test.

Apparently its common in my age group but often grown out of, i dont have much sugar or a sweet tooth, but my sugar levels were pretty high. Thanks for the heads up. I have been told to drink water if i wake and not squash.

Wow!

I hope you don't join the club which I'm a member of. Glad you got it checked. Ketones in urine are bad. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003585.htm The glucose units referenced in the article are US units. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html Sometimes you can smell it in breath. Alcohol like smell. Funny thing, when glucose levels are high you tend to crave sweets which has the opposite wanted effect.

In general, there's a random glucose test. A fasting glucose test. Hemoglobin A1C which is a weighted 3 month average of the glucose levels. Red blood cells take 3 months to die. When they get saturated they don't work well at all. A whole bunch of stuff needs to initially be looked at. Just make sure the doc prescribes dietary changes and an insulin sensitizers first. If you have signs of diabetes, I'd suggests seeing an endocrinologist.

Vitamin D Deficiency, Mine didn't and I paid the price. https://draxe.com/vitamin-d-deficiency-symptoms/, is often linked to diabetes too. I don't digest fish very well and that's probably the subtle reason that could lead to a diagnosis.

Do a really easy test for me: Pinch your thumb nail until it turns white. Let go and see how fast it returns to the original color. It should be nearly immediate.

Feel free to PM as stuff develops.

Well quick update, test for the fasting level came back normal, my doctor was not convinced. So waited for two weeks and had another test, same thing it came back normal.

Then Just after Christmas i got a cold (so i thought), I had night sweats and felt rough. A few days into it I woke up in hospital, again really high sugar levels. Funny about the smell, to me it smells like pear drops! They still cant get a steady level for me, so its a wait and see what happens. I do have to check my levels twice a day and 1 hour after eating though.

Had a couple of high readings but nothing consistent, I am sleeping way better though.

Hi LG,

Nice to see you back on ETO.:)

All the best with your medical treatment.

spec

LG: Your back.

It may not be "consistent" because you don;t yet know what makes it consistent. I'll bet you may be, for the most part eating healthy, but you may have a very high glycemic Index food that could be causing issues. A table of 100 is located here: https://www.health.harvard.edu/dise...lycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods

White bread, sugar and pizza are killers. Your inconsistent highs may be due to a high glycemic index food.

Word of advice: See an endocrinologist.

A "cold" usually increases insulin requirements, but it can do both. A cold requires more careful monitoring.

Vitamin D and TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) generally are looked at.

A reminder or if you don't know. The red blood cell is responsible for glucose transport and they die every 3 months or so. Here's the bad part, if they experience a high glucose event, they get poisoned and then don't transport it as well. So, you could have three months of being tired until all of the poisoned red blood cells die. The hA1c or Glycosated Hemogobin is effectively a weighted average of glucose levels in the red blood cells, but not in the right units to compare to the average.

Good luck!

LG: Your back.

It may not be "consistent" because you don;t yet know what makes it consistent. I'll bet you may be, for the most part eating healthy, but you may have a very high glycemic Index food that could be causing issues. A table of 100 is located here: https://www.health.harvard.edu/dise...lycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods

White bread, sugar and pizza are killers. Your inconsistent highs may be due to a high glycemic index food.

Word of advice: See an endocrinologist.

A "cold" usually increases insulin requirements, but it can do both. A cold requires more careful monitoring.

Vitamin D and TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) generally are looked at.

A reminder or if you don't know. The red blood cell is responsible for glucose transport and they die every 3 months or so. Here's the bad part, if they experience a high glucose event, they get poisoned and then don't transport it as well. So, you could have three months of being tired until all of the poisoned red blood cells die. The hA1c or Glycosated Hemogobin is effectively a weighted average of glucose levels in the red blood cells, but not in the right units to compare to the average.

Good luck!
Keep,

succinct and helpful information, but you didn't mention that you speak from personal experience.:)

spec

I didnt go anywhere as such, Mostly I read the board and work quietly away. On the last legs of the holiday plan, should be ready mid/late spring. Its been exhausting but fun, just couldnt afford to hire in a digger, so mostly moved all the earth with a shovel :D.
Trying to learn how to write web sites, the plan is a control page on the PI. The rest of it is nearly done, also need to get better at python programming. The PI is ok, but IMHO works best if used as a interface to say a pic.

I do eat healthy! I even eat the green pickle thing in a Big Mac! My deep fried Mars Bars are only fried in sunflower oil.

Aaaah! Sunflower oil. Never thought of that... :banghead:.
Yeah weaned myself off the hydrogenated stuff, and I no longer sniff diesel engines :D.

I only sleep when I get bored or very frustrated with a simple problem .
unless I have a schedule. So my sleep patterns are like calm weather cycles. Irregular but diurnal and normal for me. Usually only takes 5 minutes to get to sleep. Many decades of living in the land of the midnight sun and 48 hr shifts on occasions. Now my time zone is with Retired Standard Time

Last edited:
I only sleep when I get bored or very frustrated with a simple problem .
unless I have a schedule. So my sleep patterns are like calm weather cycles. Irregular but diurnal and normal for me. Usually only takes 5 minutes to get to sleep. Many decades of living in the land of the midnight sun and 48 hr shifts on occasions. Now my time zone is with Retired Standard Time
Do you feel generally tired/lacking in energy all the time Tony?

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back