Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

any way to test a PIC IC? / inchworm debugging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

i am trying to setup an inchworm+ but i cannot get any programs to connect to the IC. I have tried MPLAB and Tiny PIC bootloader and neither will see the chip i have that came with the kit from blueroom. The PIC is 16F877A. I checked the voltages on the serial port of my computer and i think it is working ok.

I had a problem with the inchworm board originally where the MAX232 chip was pulling excessive current so i replaced it and it seems to be ok now but is it possible the PIC was damaged at this point as well?

so what im wondering is if there a way i could throw the chip on a bread board and take some measurements of something to see if it is functional or not?

i have never had it working so i am not entirely sure it is the chip but i *think* everything else is setup correctly. (yes i disabled the fifo buffer in windows and read and reread the instructions included AND i did a continuity test on every pin of my serial cable, it looks good)

any help is much appreciated.

scott.

The 16F877A is pretty robust. Do you have a oscilloscope? Is the crystal running?
It takes very little for the communications mode to work. This may seem like a dumb question but do you have access to a PIC programmer? The firmware for the 16F877A can be found in the download section of my site.

Experience Says

Like Bill says, if you have power and ground, the oscillator should run. If it is running, the pic should fire up fine.

Silly question, but valid, as I once put a pic in wrong in an FM transmitter.

Is the 16F877A plugged in in the correct direction. The notched end should be closer to the serial port.

hmm no i dont think there is a clock happening. on pin 13 i have a voltage of a bit less than 1 and on 14 about 2 volts on the scope and no square wave.

i do not have access to a pic programmer unfortuantely.

but maybe we have found the problem.

scott.

also yes i have double checked the direction as well but that is always a good suggestion. sometimes i solder sockets in backwards even. and then it looks like the right way but really...

also i dont know if this is relevant but the led beside the clock silk screen (busy) is never on. but i dont know if it should or shouldnt be at any time.

Last edited:
Busy LED

The only time it is on is when the Inchworm+ goes to do something with the attached PIC. So, no it won't be on when you power it up. But the other one should be.
Make sure that pin 1 MCLR is not grounded.

ah ok isee. actually i was wrong about the clock i think. i was thinking i was looking for a nice square wave but i wasn't thinking about that it is a crystal and will be a much smaller wave. which seems to be there.

but your suggestion about pin 1...

when i dont have the serial cable plugged in its 5 volts but when i plug it in it goes to -.7 volts. so maybe my computer port is not ok after all? or is this what should happen?

Voltages ok

That is what happens when I rip the Unicorn off and plug it in serial. Powered up by itself pin 1 = 5v. Plug in the serial cable = -.7 or so. Bring up MPLAB and set communications up to serial and connect = 5 v plus, in my case, it decided to download a new OS to it, so the red led lit up.

HI

thanks for the help.

heres what happens. when i connect with mplab the voltage goes to 5.6 but then fails and i get some error msgs. if i try to connect again manually it just stays low.

umm i tried to post a link to some screen shots but it wont let me post for some reason if i do.

but here is the url i guess copy and paste. it has the corresponding voltage at pin1 in the comments

**broken link removed**

Hmm, can you try to download OS?
Are you using COM1 or COM2? Did you reboot after changing the FIFO buffers?

Pin #1 on the 18F877A is diode clamped so in reset it's normal -0.7 the MPLAB toggles reset / run.

Last edited:
yes i have been trying to play around with settings for about 2 days. i can get other error msgs like failed to open port as well but never a successful connection. i am using com1. in my bios on the pc the serial port is also set to com1. the serial port shows up in hardware manager.

my motherboard does not have a soldered on db9. it has just pins sticking out for a header. so i have a ribbon cable with a header going to a db9 male panel mount on a pci card bracket type thing. according to the manual i have the header oriented correctly but i have tried reversing it anyways and at that time it didnt seem to be working.

i checked the connection between the header and the panel mount connector for continuity a few days back and it seemed to be ok. maybe tomorrow i iwll go over everything again to be really really sure.

also i read about making a loopback connector to verify the port. i dont knwo how to run a test though but i could definitely make the connector without much trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back