Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any way to read a PIC16F84 with PicKit II?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Varmint

I want to read some code off an old program I wrote years back so I can transpose it to a PIC16F690. I have the old programmer but my laptop does not have DB9 serial ports so wondering if there is a hack to read it with PicKit II. Many of you probably know that the '84 is not in the database.

I use a Pickit2 with some 16F84As I had hanging around. Just use the program supplied with the pickit instead of MatLab cos obviously that won't work directly with the pickit2. Wire it up from the programmer as follows -
1 Vpp -> MCLR (4)
2 Vdd -> Vdd (14)
3 Vss -> Vss (5)
4 ICSPDAT -> PGDATA (13)
5 ICSPCLK -> PGCLK (12)

Where 1-5 is the connections from the programmer...

Last edited:
I want to read some code off an old program I wrote years back so I can transpose it to a PIC16F690. I have the old programmer but my laptop does not have DB9 serial ports so wondering if there is a hack to read it with PicKit II. Many of you probably know that the '84 is not in the database.
1. USE PICKIT2 programmer VER2.61
2. as you open the program, set Mid Range Sandard
3. Click Programmer and select Manual Device select
4. Now you will be able to pick PIC16F84A at Device- select part by click and choose.

Hope this serves.

Last edited:
Perhaps the issue with no auto id. and one has to manually select it and use.

OP is original post.
The 84A replaced the 84 over a decade ago. Both are more expensive than the 16F628A that replaced them.
You can use the 84A in place of the 84.

What? I doesn't show up in the database. Hmmm. Maybe I need a new version. Let me try that.

Thanks guys! What's an OP? Dare I ask.
"origial poster" the person who posted the query first.

ps: Oh already answered by Bill! thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back