Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any Mac Users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamthole

I am a big Mac user, and it pains me to use a PC to program the microcontrollers (PIC for me, right now). I was just wondering if their was anyone out their who programs the controllers via an Apple (Mac) computer. I've searched the forum and a little on the net, with no luck, but thought I would ask anyways. I haven't found any programs, etc.

Thanks!

adamthole said:
I am a big Mac user, and it pains me to use a PC to program the microcontrollers (PIC for me, right now). I was just wondering if their was anyone out their who programs the controllers via an Apple (Mac) computer. I've searched the forum and a little on the net, with no luck, but thought I would ask anyways. I haven't found any programs, etc.

Unfortunately Apple seem to have gone out of their way to prevent external use of their computers - the move to USB ports effectively stopped almost all home interfacing.

However, MicroChip make the programming details for their chips available to download, so you could always write your own. MicroChip themselves only support the PC, which as it far out numbers all other computers added together, is reasonable enough.

Adam,

I used to be a big Mac User too. I even hated PCs. But once I got into electronics and microcontrollers...and using the serial and parallel ports...I realized that PCs are much more friendlier to hobbyists and developers.

I even tried to develop an interface for Mac so I could program PICs on it. But the work was too much and PCs were all ready.

I still dislike Microsoft and I may one day switch to Linux, but at home...my Mac is in the closet and I have a brand new PC at my desk.

If you're reluctant to buy a new PC you could always get a used one on eBay. Heck, I have a decent laptop that my neighbor put in the trash. All I had to do was replace the hard drive ($50) and I can do all my PIC stuff on it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back