Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any ideas on what to connect to this DC motor? (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionITR

I pulled this DC motor from a drill. It has a unremoveable gear on the end of the motor and I have no idea what I can use to connect it to the hex bolt that I have my transformer on. I want to use this to rotate the transformer for the transformer winding machine I am making.

Any ideas how to couple these two? Do I need some complicated gearing to make this useful for me?

Attachments

• SDC11442.JPG
    SDC11442.JPG
    989 KB · Views: 175
  • SDC11444.JPG
    SDC11444.JPG
    930.4 KB · Views: 180
Judging from the chamfer, it's probably a friction fit. There is probably no indication of set screws or pins.

So, it's time to find an appropriate gear puller that will work.

That's problem #1.

Motor shaft diameter?

Thread size?

What are you trying to connect to?

Judging from the chamfer, it's probably a friction fit. There is probably no indication of set screws or pins.

So, it's time to find an appropriate gear puller that will work.

That's problem #1.

Motor shaft diameter?

Thread size?

What are you trying to connect to?

motor shaft diameter is 3/8 inch. I have no idea what the thread size is. I'm trying to somehow spin the hex box pictured which holds my transformer bobbin.

The sprocket is shrunk onto the motor axle.

You might try removing it by heating the sprocket and not allow much heat on the axle.

If that fails you might use a grinder and remove a part of the sprocket down to the axle.

I recommend to use a reduction gear with the motor since it was taken off a power tool and might rotate up to 18,000rpm.

I don't see any friction fit, just the shields A and B with ball bearings.

Boncuk

You can leave the metal gear on the shaft, and buy a large plastic gear to mate with it. That will give you the benefit of lower spool speed and better torque and speed control in general. That's why that gear was on the motor in the first place. ;)

McMasterCarr.com have lots of plastic gears they will probably have one with the right mesh. They also have cheap bearings etc for your spool shaft.

I agree with the other posts regarding reduction gearing being essential. Do you have the mating gear(s) from the drill still? If you don't want to mess with assembling gears then a cheapo electric screwdriver might fit the bill.
Regardless of which gearing you use you will be faced with the problem of coupling two shafts (shaft plus bolt). Shaft couplers which allow for some misalignment of the shafts are available, or you could make one of the 'pin-in-slot' type (one shaft carries a pair of eccentric pins which engage slots in a disc attached to the other shaft).

Since you have the T/F bobbin already on a piece of threaded rod just put it in a cordless drill chuck, thats what i do.

https://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/40
https://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/51
https://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/34
These links will get you to some small slow motors. You need 4 turns/second (+/-).
I did not look but they should have shaft couplers to.
I know, no money, and a $5 motor is a problem. $5 to $15.00
I think your transformer will slip on the bolt. I would weld one of the washers to the bolt and file the washer untill it fits into the transformer thus there can not be any slipping.

What I have done in the past for coupling two shafts together, for low speed/torque, is use a piece of hose.
In your case a piece of 3/8" fuel line pressed onto the bolt threads and motor shaft (with reduction) should work. If necessary you might have to put some hose clamps on it if it slips. As mentioned by others, you will need to slow it down, otherwise the imbalance
along with difficulty of controlling wrap will be a problem.

edit: you'll need to keep the connection as short as possible, with the end of the shaft touching the bolt on the inside of the hose.

Last edited:
Hi,

You got the motor FROM a drill already made? Put it back in there!

Then, use the entire drill with the original chuck to grab the threaded rod and tighten the chuck securely. You dont have to grab the hex nut, just the threaded rod will be good enough. The drill would already have gearing to gear down the speed to a reasonable winding speed. If your drill had variable speed use that to regulate the speed during use too or else make your own speed regulator.

If for some reason you cant put the motor back in the drill, then at least use the chuck to connect to the threaded rod.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back