Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMl

Most Helpful Member
**broken link removed**?

You could write Ku_ya_ya?

Seriously, I got rid of my PicStart Plus last year and got a PicKit3. It programs all the new chips, but requires some jumper adjustments on the adapter boards. I don't see any jumpers on Kuyaya's product. Does it do all the new chips?

I got my adapter boards came from Joshua1 (example here: **broken link removed**). They are high quality, and I am a little sorry I didn't get the programmer as well from him. It would have saved some money.

John

I have a kitrus programmer, it worked well for a while on 16f series, then started with random errors, also it will not program 16f54's I think the board doesnt have a 12v programming voltage generator, you'd probably have to provide a seperate power supply to do these.

I now have a pickit3 which works well, if you get one it might be worth getting a zif socket adaptor to go with it, I'm fed up of plugging a chip and fiddly leads into a breadboard to program a device.

Buy a PK3 clone from Sure and spend your efforts where they matter most, i.e on your projects and not on "why does this damned programmer not program/ verify/ erase/ insert issue here" :)

Buy the PK3 from microchip and send it back for a new one if and when it fails to work.

I got my adapter boards came from Joshua1 (example here:
Some years ago I etched one with sockets from 8 to 40 pins and RJ11 and 1x6 connectors for the programmer. The sockets are not ZIF but then I only pull the thing out now and then as I use ICSP for most everything. When I made it most processors did not have internal osc's so I added a ceramic osc to each socket so I could test PICs too.

To each his own.

Last edited:
Does somebody do an adaptor with a single 40 pin zif for all devices, like the kitsrus prgrammer does, I spose not as it'd need some fancy switching to divert power, clock, data and vpp lines.

@dr pepper:
You can check here to get a feeling for what that would entail: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/01/ICSPAdapters-v12.pdf

Like 3v0 said, it is really a matter of taste. If you do ICSP, you don't need the adapter boards. If you like to program, then plug your chips into circuit, then you do. Of course, you could make your own programming adapter board with a ZIF socket and use jumpers. I did something similar with my PicStart for ICSP. Just keep the jumpers short.

BTW, The source I gave sells a genuine PK3 with warranty. The green ZIF sockets are made in China, but seem decent. They don't have the same quality feel as my Aries sockets, but I have had no problems with them making reliable contacts.

J0hn

I do not want to force anyone's hand but one of the best features of modern programmers is in circuit is In Circuit Debug, ICD is done using the ICSP connector.

If your program is in the can and you are just cranking out products then I see the value in programming in a socket. But that is not an option for surface mount parts.

Yes I've used icd, and its usefull.
I tend to use 14 and 18 pin devices including some that cant do icd without a header, so sometimes I prefer to pull the chip and program it, also I tend to use all the pins for the circuit so programming in circuit inst allways possible depending on whether I can use swamp resistors or not.
Anyway going to get one of these:

**broken link removed**

My eprom programmer from way back has an aries socket, I thought they'd gone bust.

Last edited:
Aries and 3M (Textool) are still readily available at DigiKey. I have used both brands.

John

Yes I was trying to remember the other brand - textool, I dont spose they'll stay in business seeing as chinese imports are way cheaper.

I tend to use all the pins for the circuit so programming in circuit inst allways possible

I only do experimenting and always use ICSP but also make use of all the pins in the program by using a 3PDT switch to change between the programmer and the target for the Pgc and Pgd and Vpp pins. So no sacrifice of pins for ICSP.
Aaron

I attempt to plan the project so as not to have to share the 3 pins needed for debugging. Saves bothering with a switch or sharing the pins. There is some beauty in using a smaller chip but not enough to have to share the pins.

Last edited:
I've ported some of my '88 programs to a '886 for that reason.
I used to pull the chip and reprogram it every time, hell of a lot easier with icsp, esp when it has icd too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back