Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any counter theorys to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member

Fascinating subject.

Kind of a mish mash. Using atoms is something of a misrepresentation of the salient concepts.

Photon theory ("... a particle representing a quantum of light or other electromagnetic radiation.") theory makes more sense to me when discussing the phenomena represented in the video subject. Further definition.

What's got the scientific communities hair on fire is that a photon displays both the characteristics of a "particle" (something with mass) AND a wave (something without any mass whatsoever) See Wave–particle_duality.

Wave particle duality is what got me looking at the video I linked too. I found the use of electrons interesting because no way should you observe what you do in the video!
Kind of why I asked the question, and goes back to wave particle duality. Which leads too a rather uncomfortable conclusion, most physics is half 100% correct and half 100% wrong at the same time.

Makes what happens as you pass the speed of light thought experiment look easy :D. Ok as you approach the speed of light then its fairly obvious what would happen, but to me the speed of light dosnt add up as the fastest constant in the universe. So even if it is........ What would actually happen if you could pass the light speed barrier? The approach experiment says time slows, but time is also a function of space and speed. Both of which are corrupted at the event horizon of a black hole, so past the event horizon it should either be a standstill or be faster than the speed of light.

I will find the paper if I can, but the one I been reading (a Hawkins ex student) puts a good case for black holes being really shallow, but then asks why then are they not filled up. So his other paper suggest that the speed of light is increased inside a black hole and past the event horizon. The maths was way way way past my ability unfortunately. But he is putting forward the theory that its the increase in light speed and not gravity etc that stops light escaping. Anyway Back to Muons :D

What would actually happen if you could pass the light speed barrier?
Your mass would become imaginary, since it would involve the square root of a negative number :D.

Your mass would become imaginary, since it would involve the square root of a negative number :D.
But isnt the whole point, my mass is already imaginary until you imagine me. You dont exist until you exist. Same thing with the electrons behaving like waves, and full circle to duality.

Or I could be really obnoxious (more than normal at least), and say numbers are simply a device we use to quantify something, like time they have no real meaning. :D.

Off at a complete tangent..... have you seen the documentary on the making of the new Le Grand or whatever they call it?? All that precision comes down to a guys finger tips!!

I cant believe when they do the crystalline xray stuff on it, he is spot on!!

Besides what is wrong with a negative square root in the quantum world??? :D:D:D

Nothing wrong at all. You can have negative square roots in the normal world too :).

Dont worry MM, come 8th June we will all be on the TM diet :D.

How do you solve the problem of doing something for the 'Jam's'?

Easy, demote them to the poverty stricken

Alex
Precisely, its fine in the real world, which means it shouldnt be in the quantum one.....

Interesting video, seems in direct conflict with things like Fibonacci numbers and the sunflower seeds etc . So on the one hand everything is down to chance but with exceptions, obviously this is at macro level, go down to muons and other sub particles that we of today (and they didnt back then), does it still hold true for the sub particles found in say the last 5 years? If it does then CERN is wasting it time with H2 collider, if it dosnt detect the particle then it isnt because it may not exist, but because it hasnt run long enough to reach the point of probability of being detected?

I havnt put that well, but I kind of know what I am getting at. Hmmm need to mull that one over :D

Don't remember the source, but it is posited that it takes ≈100,000 years for a photon produced in the core of our (or any) Sun, to transit (traveling at C) from the core to the corona. Then ≈9 minutes to your eye.

Whole lotta "photon transfer its energy to an electron, electron jumps up an orbit, falls back, emits a photon (most likely in a totally different direction than towards the corona), repeat...".

Sun's density is one issue.

The royal institute has some videos on the sun and the sun spots etc. Some weird stuff goes on with fields etc and one hell of alot of magnetic fields and things. really interesting stuff, some **** on the channel as well though.

Everything about black holes are theories so we don't even know if what we are thinking as a black hole is a blackhole. Now dunno if someone says we are living in a grand virtual reality where everything is possible like mass becoming infinite or imaginary or faster than light travel etc etc.only thing to say that laws of physics can be bent sometimes like space time horizon could be.

What boggles my mind (and it doesn't take much) is that a single photon, emitted from some single sun in some far distant galaxy, can traverse (at C) unfathomable distances and in a bee line to us on Earth. And it does so over the course of millions (if not billions of years), never losing any of its velocity or energy until it hits an electron in my retina.

And does so despite the plethora of intervening arrays of magnetic, gravitational and who knows what other disturbances during its journey. Except, of course, black holes, which seem to stop'em dead in their tracks.

What boggles my mind (and it doesn't take much) is that a single photon, emitted from some single sun in some far distant galaxy, can traverse (at C) unfathomable distances and in a bee line to us on Earth. And it does so over the course of millions (if not billions of years), never losing any of its velocity or energy until it hits an electron in my retina.
But note that the time, from the photon's point-of-view, is instantaneous, since time goes to zero for anything traveling at the speed of light. o_O

But note that the time, from the photon's point-of-view, is instantaneous, since time goes to zero for anything travelling at the speed of light. o_O
Correct which is why Time is a nonsense invention by man to try and explain something. Unlike Light Time is not a constant, the decay rate of a isotope may be, but a atomic clock would end up with July being in winter eventually, worse still depending on your elevation would dictate how far off it would be.

So when my teacher bitches I am late for school, I remind her that time isnt a constant so she cant prove I am later or early. All she can do is point to a clock and tell me according to that I am late, but I could point to my watch and show her I wasnt because I had altered it. If time isnt a real constant then you cant say which is correct, the clock or the watch.

Or I could just tell her in the quantum world I am not late as I was there all along.

I do try however not to get too deep into with my teachers, they dont get paid enough to have to have their heads messed with as well :D

So when my teacher bitches I am late for school, I remind her that time isnt a constant so she cant prove I am later or early. All she can do is point to a clock and tell me according to that I am late, but I could point to my watch and show her I wasnt because I had altered it. If time isnt a real constant then you cant say which is correct, the clock or the watch.

Or I could just tell her in the quantum world I am not late as I was there all along.

I always told them that that no matter what they do to me none of it matters once I become an adult. And that's a fact. I've been out of school for ~24 years now and I can say for a fact not one employer ever cared about how I did or how I acted in school. Hell, most could care less what I did for a college education other than to tell me that it made me 'over qualified' for whatever was applying for.

To add insult to injury I know more people who were high school slackers with marginal to bad grades like myself who went onto become happy adults than I do know high school over achievers who went anywhere other than down afterwards.

The jocks married to the hot gals who then turned into into beer belly slobs married to, and then divorced from, cattle and toads once they passed the 25 - 30 year mark while the nobodies like me went on to live our lives as we wanted and never looked back with a shred of envy for where we were while now they are dying inside because of it! :cool:

Sure I dont have the $500,000 house with all the fancy toys parked out front but then I also dont have the near million dollar worth of bank loans I will have to pay back for it over my head that pretty much have me locked into 50 - 70 hour work week job life I hate untill I hit retirement age either. ;)

School is just a place to get good access to books and papers ;). I dont spend too much time at school, I do however get the work done. Which is why I am always near the top, I am told constantly if I attended more I would do better than the top 5%. Personally I would most likely be near the bottom 5%.

I dont fit in at school, they have curriculums and set paths, I kind of like to meander around and discover stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back