Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

any bill gates lovers here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Religion verses God'

i kindly ask you all not to turn this thread into one where you make fun of God and other religious beliefs.

From what I've noticed this only happens when (Easy Belief ism) is forced without the sense humility. And to be the only truth within the scope of intelligent comprehension.

Maybe to suggest that it is widely accepted by the masses or to suggest that it is counter intuitive to think otherwise.

Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
Home is where you hang your hat.

what does that mean? (i guess it's an expression, right? but i don't know it :) )

killivolt said:
From what I'm noticed this only happens when (Easy Belief ism) is forced without the sense humility. And to be the only truth within the scope of intelligent comprehension.

Maybe to suggest that it is widely accepted by the masses or to suggest that it is counter intuitive to think otherwise.

i don't understand that either! :D but i am eager to understand!

Bang ! Not

Originally Posted by ikalogic

don't understand that either! bang ! but i am eager to understand! Bang !

I just had to regedit your post to make it more clear ? ............

he he he .........whooa ! :p

:D :D :D They say ignorance is bliss ........... It's good to be happy :D

Hi Ibrahim,

I am not clear on which of the above you don't understand. Since it has been more than a day, let me try to explain some of them.

Bill's comment about home and hat is an idiom, or as you say, an expression, that may not translate literally and still mean the same thing. When men wore hats, they were generally taken off when indoors. When you went home, you hung it on a rack. Hence the saying.

Killivolt's first comment about "Easy Belief ism" doesn't make sense to me either. I would dismiss it as gibberish and not worry about what he was trying to say.

His second comment about ignorance is bliss may also be idiomatic, but I suspect it should translate pretty well. Basically, what it means is that one should not worry about something you do not know or understand, particularly if it is something you cannot change and/or might find unpleasant, if you knew. John

From what I've noticed this only happens when (Easy Belief ism) is forced without the sense humility. And to be the only truth within the scope of intelligent comprehension.

To easily believe or (Easy Belief ism) without physical evidence to support that God Exists. When you apply it to the natural laws of this known Universe it is not logical.

If you suggest everyone should accept this as truth without humility because this is only your personal belief. To proceed with same lack of accuracy is to suggest they are ignorant of that said truth (That you personally have accepted) will only inflame a conversation without supporting data to back it up.

To further inflame the point by speaking as if this is widely accepted by everyone else in the world and that somehow you must be stupid (Not physically expressed) but yet has a descending ring in it will only light the match to the fuel you just poured on it.

From what I have seen you are not confrontational. Therefore it will not become a problem for someone else to solve or debate about.

You can find what you are looking for (Debate or Discussion) most people here or anywhere will be ready and willing to give you what you want.

(Sorry about the incoherent gibberish)
(Sorry if it is to be much of the same) :eek:

To further expand on jpanhalt's explanations, albeit with my own perspectives:

1) "Home is where you hang your hat." Jpanhalt gave a good cultural context for this metaphor. The sentiment of this expression is something along the lines of, "Wherever you rest at the end of each day is your home, and instrinsically worth as such to you to the exclusion of comparison to wherever other people might call their home." What exactly blueroomelectronics meant by this in the context of the previous posts to this thread, I'm still confused about myself. Literally it doesn't quite add up, which is another way of saying there's enough ambiguity of intent there to draw your own conclusions.

2) No doubt killivolt's ideas are obvious to him (most of the time I can piece together what his position is), but the incoherence of most of his posts often interferes with his intentions. No offense to him - his writing will no doubt improve during the course of his involvement in the forum (I know mine has!), it's just that shortcoming in his ability to articulate himself using the English language might not be obvious to people for whom English is not their first language.

3) "Ignorance is bliss." Jpanhalt's interpretation of this expression almost makes ignorance seem like a positive thing, although I've never thought about it that way before. I've never used this expression myself, and always presumed that it was an excuse for apathy. For instance, it excuses a teacher from interfering with the happiness of children, if the argument is that the effort to teach children new ideas does them more harm than the children having a limited set of experiences.

Hank Fletcher said:
3) "Ignorance is bliss." Jpanhalt's interpretation of this expression almost makes ignorance seem like a positive thing, although I've never thought about it that way before.

Not my intent at all. I was just trying to explain what the phrase meant, and one must use it carefully, I believe. Have you ever heard something to the effect, "I like sausages, but I don't want to know how they are made?" :D To that, one might apply ignorance is bliss.

I once saw a compilation of adages that showed for virtually every adage there is another one that gives opposite advice. They are a nice part of every language, but because of the cultural context, they can give trouble in translation. John

jpanhalt said:
Not my intent at all. I was just trying to explain what the phrase meant, and one must use it carefully, I believe. Have you ever heard something to the effect, "I like sausages, but I don't want to know how they are made?" :D To that, one might apply ignorance is bliss.

I once saw a compilation of adages that showed for virtually every adage there is another one that gives opposite advice. They are a nice part of every language, but because of the cultural context, they can give trouble in translation. John

Thank you both for the info I'm always glad when someone can help with such things I see it would have been far better for me to have kept silent.

It might be my best option in the future to just preview my post and let it stay that way (resist hitting submit.) Then I won't be confusing people (language is so troublesome.)

whoooa ! :D

killivolt said:
To easily believe or (Easy Belief ism) without physical evidence to support that God Exists. When you apply it to the natural laws of this known Universe it is not logical.

If you suggest everyone should accept this as truth without humility because this is only your personal belief. To proceed with same lack of accuracy is to suggest they are ignorant of that said truth (That you personally have accepted) will only inflame a conversation without supporting data to back it up.

To further inflame the point by speaking as if this is widely accepted by everyone else in the world and that somehow you must be stupid (Not physically expressed) but yet has a descending ring in it will only light the match to the fuel you just poured on it.

From what I have seen you are not confrontational. Therefore it will not become a problem for someone else to solve or debate about.

You can find what you are looking for (Debate or Discussion) most people here or anywhere will be ready and willing to give you what you want.

(Sorry about the incoherent gibberish)
(Sorry if it is to be much of the same) :eek:

Okay.. just a little point I'd like to add. I never "suggested everyone should accept this as truth without humility because this is only my personal belief"

and i didn't inflame anything, i was just answering a question, in the most possible discrete fashion, trying NOT to inflame this kind of discussion, simply because i "don't" want to debate about this.

Let me tell how i feel exactly about that, since the conversation came to that point, this will also add up with your comment when you said i was not confrontational: I am deeply in love with my religion,I respect it, and praise it proudly every day. However, you will rarely see me trying to talk about it, and for sure, you will never see me suggesting anything to you, or to anyone!

In my ideology, as an open minded half French/ half Egyptian, I believe this is something between me and my self. The fact that you believe or not is not my business, and i don't even want to know about, and that's why, when i referred to paradise, i asked not turn this thread into what it has become now! i was just answering a simple question with a simple answer... but apparently, just using words like "God" or "paradise" inflames a discussion like that.. it's good to know :D

Anyway.. i may seem angry or something, but i am not at all, it's cool! ;)

look what a thread about bill gates turned into!! well the ****-chat is one controversial forum!! :D loool

ikalogic said:
Okay.. just a little point I'd like to add. I never "suggested everyone should accept this as truth without humility because this is only my personal belief"

(True.) :D

ikalogic said:
and i didn't inflame anything, i was just answering a question, in the most possible discrete fashion, trying NOT to inflame this kind of discussion, simply because i "don't" want to debate about this.

(True.) :D

ikalogic said:
Let me tell how i feel exactly about that, since the conversation came to that point, this will also add up with your comment when you said i was not confrontational: I am deeply in love with my religion,I respect it, and praise it proudly every day. However, you will rarely see me trying to talk about it, and for sure, you will never see me suggesting anything to you, or to anyone!

(No words) :D

ikalogic said:
In my ideology, as an open minded half French/ half Egyptian, I believe this is something between me and my self. The fact that you believe or not is not my business, and i don't even want to know about, and that's why, when i referred to paradise, i asked not turn this thread into what it has become now! i was just answering a simple question with a simple answer... but apparently, just using words like "God" or "paradise" inflames a discussion like that.. it's good to know :D

(Cool) :D

ikalogic said:
Anyway.. i may seem angry or something, but i am not at all, it's cool! ;)

(GREAT) Thanks. ;)

ikalogic said:
look what a thread about bill gates turned into!! well the ****-chat is one controversial forum!! :D loool

(True)

WOW ............ whooa :D

I didn't even read any of this thread, so bear with me...

I have nothing against bill gates. He is a brilliant person. He made something out of nothing. I do, however have a problem with his recent products... Pista, etc...

I am a linux lover, but gates is a genius.

Marks256 said:
I have nothing against bill gates. He is a brilliant person. He made something out of nothing.
You mean he made something out of being rich to begin with. Gates is no genius - he's a shrewd, and arguably heartless, businessman. There's been no net contribution by Gates himself towards innovative thinking or the cultural fabric of our society. Given the resources available to him through his incredible wealth and that of his business, he's done very little in terms of advancing any field. But that's not his objective: making money is.

Nolan Bushnell has my vote for the best contributor/innovator/businessman in this area. Made a great product, knew how to market it, everybody's happy, and when he got bored, he got out.

IMO Steve Wozniak has my vote. HE is a genius.

Wozniak, and Apple etc, are a good example of how innovation can reasonably counter and compete with monolithic monopolies like Microsoft. Apple demonstrates how there is no reward without risk. Microsoft, on the otherhand, demonstrates how conservatism is inevitably terminal.

Hank Fletcher said:
You mean he made something out of being rich to begin with. Gates is no genius - he's a shrewd, and arguably heartless, businessman. There's been no net contribution by Gates himself towards innovative thinking or the cultural fabric of our society. Given the resources available to him through his incredible wealth and that of his business, he's done very little in terms of advancing any field. But that's not his objective: making money is.

Nolan Bushnell has my vote for the best contributor/innovator/businessman in this area. Made a great product, knew how to market it, everybody's happy, and when he got bored, he got out.

I do agree with that. I am impressed how can some company do that little innovation, with that amount of money! On the other hand, though the last decade or more, Microsoft have only prevented others to innovate, making the consumer the first one to suffer from the presence of microsoft.

many people think microsoft is 'good' because they just don't know anything else.

In my opinion, microsoft must be spending 10% on research and development, and the remaining 90% on studies on how to prevent anyone from doing better products, thought the most malicious, barely-legal techniques...

ikalogic said:
In my opinion, microsoft must be spending 10% on research and development, and the remaining 90% on studies on how to prevent anyone from doing better products, thought the most malicious, barely-legal techniques...

And Apple is any better? They used to be lawsuit central, probably still are.

blueroomelectronics said:
And Apple is any better? They used to be lawsuit central, probably still are.

probably not, i don't know i am not an apple user, but from what i've heard, apple products are much more reliable than microsofts'

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back