Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any Arduino fans out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said.
There is not much point in debating this. There a lot of good people doing good work without fancy tools.
Use whatever tools you want.

3v0
Yes you did say already. I don't consider I was debating with you ,you are a rare exception who does not need the information on this thread as it is for fans of Arduino as the title said .

My post is for the rest of us that enjoy knowing what is being made by experimenters in this field

Last edited:
Yes you did say already. I don't consider I was debating with you ,you are a rare exception who does not need the information on this thread as it is for fans of Arduino as the title said .

My post is for the rest of us that enjoy knowing what is being made by experimenters in this field

I was trying to bow out without ruffling any feathers. My interest in the Arduino is more the casual in that I teach an intro to micro controller development at my local high school.

-------------------------------------- read only if you are interested ----------------

In your previous post you said
tytower said:
3v0 is obviously very experienced and goes much further than any usual user would need . I for one have no need of a debugger using the procedure explained by Leftyretro (GDay)
In short you said you did not need a debugger. You say the in general (casual users) do not need debuggers.

When talking about development tools it makes more sense to talk about what we WANT then what we NEED.

One could argue that a casual user does not NEED tools, being casual he has no real need to write code! Perhaps that explains the attraction to systems like the UBW.

Can you live without a in circuit debugger, yes. But in general debugging is easier when you have a good one. Your feeling about them is similar to people who will not use compilers.

Lefty said the on chip overhead for a debugger is too high. Since the advent of JTAG (and the downfall of the ROM monitor) most of the debug functionality exists as additional hardware, little memory is required. I suspect any boot loader including the resident software on the Arduino uses more memory. How much is too much, is dependant on the project and is subjective based on the person.

The need for better tools increases with the complexity of the code. It goes way up when time is a factor. In industry time to market is a huge factor and companies have spent millions of dollars on various forms of debugging tools including ICE and trace with symbolic language support. I no longer work in industry but my time is valuable to me. Good tools let me get more done.

As hobby types each of us can choose our tools. But it is wrong dismiss (disrespect) what you do not choose to use. This is true regardless of the thread topic.

3v0

You have a problem too
You wont leave anything without the last word .
Wake up to yourself , if you want to knock it. go in the pic thread and knock it there . I for one won't be reading it.

Last edited:
I think this thread is funny...lol...can't we all get along? :)

I'm a ridiculous noob, barely able to make 555 timer circuits and understand them, but with the Arduino I bought a month ago I am already writing code, making motors move, designing a robot project named Herbert after H.G. Wells and having a grand old time!

This guy Tom Igoe wrote a book in 2003 or so called Physical Computing, I think...I read it, it was all about Pic and Basic Stamp, and the like. He recently wrote another book called Making Things Talk. It's for the non-professional....he is a total Arduino convert...it's just easy to use for dufus people like me....I'm sure if I get into it more I may want something deeper. But for now, it is awesome!!!! I cannot recommend it enough!

Annie :)

I bought an Arduino Duemilanove. I like it. Now allow me to explain :)
i did NOT buy the arduino for the IDE. I bought it because:
1) I can not buy all the parts, the board, and assemble it cheaper!
2) I like it because it is powered by USB and has a ftdi rs232 chip - i can change the ftdi chips ID and write a custom driver to emulate other projects
3)The arduino has ISP programming header - you don't need their tools

The very first thing i did was erase and use my own setup (programmers notepad, and winavr)

The aruino servers an excellent prototyping board- for simple projects i don't need wires running all the over the place. Mind you when i say arduino i mean the hardware, which is nothing more than an AVR.

To be honest i hate the concept of the arduino. In this context i mean the idea of a "sketch" and the hindernig tools which bring it out. But i can't deny the fact that more people who would have otherwise had no way to tinker, may now tinker. I suspect some of those people will move on.

I also recommended that a friend buy the board to use with his AVR tutoring. He did the same thing, nuked the board and uses his own flavor of tools.

You guys are great! :)

One thing I'll say is that yes, I use the Arduino IDE...but it has gotten me enthused to learn C for microcontrollers and so I'm studying up on deaper things...for me it has rocked! I'll post videos of Project Herbert the robot when I get him a little further along.....

Using the Arduino IDE and a Boarduino, I wrote a program today to make him move forward (attached to an RC Hummer body)....baby steps...next I'm putting him in his own chassis and will start figuring the code to run motors on all 4 wheels...I'm glad the Arduino is easy for dorks like me, heh....

Annie

This is an extremly quick way to learn microprocessors and C++ programming or not as you choose.

One thing I can tell you there is a lot of good reference material and help from the forum with this as you go . See arduino.cc and forums.adafruit.com

I spent about an hour putting this together today ,and ,about another hour trying to fathom why it did not work.Turns out the pin numbering is on the reverse side of the Graphics LCD panel and I had it back to front .

Lucky I didn't blow it , thought I had as I had the power wires round the wrong way to start. Followed the diagram but it was Pinout A and my board was Pinout B. Rotten photo but it will have to do for now. The times I've looked at Pics and basic stamp articles in magazines and could not understand 10% of it.You gotta be kidding.

Attachments

• GLCD.jpg
    GLCD.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Just an update gang. The kit went together beautifully in about two hours. It came with an SMD USB "miniB" connector pre-installed and would you believe I didn't have a "miniB" cable amongst the hundreds of cables in my collection (lol). Anyway, yesterday I ordered a few "miniB" cables because all of the local stores are trying to get $20-$25 for these little $1.50 cables, can you believe it? So, it may be another week before I can get my Arduino to say "Hello World".

Happy Holidays, Mike

Thats a printer cable Mike -havn't got one on your printer now?

Request Thermocouple circuit

I can not found the circuits that use with thermocouple sensor to measure the temperature although try and try to find in the book and in the internet. Could anyone tell me where can I find the! Thank in advance

YouTray,

Can you be more specific what you are working with and what you are working on? I find that the guys here are super helpful if you provide all the necessary information up front!

Are you working with a sensor and Arduino?

Annie :)

Thats a printer cable Mike -havn't got one on your printer now?
The cable for my printer is A-to-B. I ordered a couple 1 foot A-to-miniB cables for $1.13 each and a couple 3 foot A-to-miniB cables for $1.50 each. Shipping ended up costing more then the cables (lol) but I'm way ahead when you consider the $25 cost for a single cable at all of the local retail store around here.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Mike

It fired up without problems... Loaded USB drivers... Uploaded "Blink"... Everything works - yippee!!!

Now the fun begins...

Happy Holidays... Mike

Love the arduino, didnt know anything about microcontrollers, have had mine for about a year now, and i'm not *that* bad, quite simple programming language, and loads of free examples to learn from!

Ive been reading bout arduinos for a while. but never actually got one. But I like the ease of use and the support it has, and that there are soooo much information about it, its shields, and interfacing, a code for it. Its really become big. I was going to get one but then I heard about these MIT kids, who were developing and arduino compatible ARM CORTEX-M3 board running at 'mere' 72Mhz !!! . It has the same layout as an arduino, programs the same, using and ide thats very similiar, and most importantly, is compatible with existing shields and code. You could for the majority of it, take existing avr code, and just copy it over and program the ARM uC and it would work (except if the code deals with specific avr registers).

Anyone that might be interested, take a look at their blog **broken link removed**

They just released their first run, I still havent gotten mine yet, but it definitly looks promising.

They difinitly have some good ideas and hope they do well and produce better stuff. One thing Im looking forward to is, and another ARM board with FPGA. Imagine what you could do with that !

But ill prob get an arduino soon.

lol...i think...this was unrelated to much of anything...sorrryy

Yeh wellI think this above is just advertising

I know its old - just rereading -Gday retrolefty !

Each board costs $50 up surface mounted chip. No good for me ,arduinos cost $2 for me and I program them with my own gear

Last edited:
I do a lil arduino. Havn't done complicated things yet, just controlling motors, flashing leds etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back