Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna TV repeater transmitter needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I have 1 TV antenna for OTA TV and 7 TVs in a boarding house.

What I need is a Repeater transmitter connected to the antenna coax cable in one room of the house. The repeater needs to transmit about 100 feet to all the TVs in the house. Each TV will need rabbit ears.

This will be easier than building 7 antenna, one for each TV and running coax cable to every TV.

Who sells antenna TV repeater transmitters?

I have not seen them for sale in 15 years.

The biggest problem is the house has cement floors no way to run coax under the floor. It has vaulted ceiling with NO attic so no way to run coax up there. I ran coax from antenna, through the house, down the hall, into the rooms to the TVs. 1 TV work good on the antenna. With a splitter 2 TVs do not work very well. 3 TVs reception is too back to watch. Only way to use coax is run it around the outside and put an antenna at each window. I need 7 antennas or a wireless transmitter.

Last edited:
To avoid feedback, the repeater must transmit on a different channel it is receiving.

To avoid feedback, the repeater must transmit on a different channel it is receiving.

The repeater will get its signal from the antenna. These units use to be advertised to transmit only 100 feet so the antenna will need to be more than 100 feet away so it will NOT pick up the transmitted signal. This creates another problem the antenna will need to be in someone elses yard to be more than 100 ft away. They use to be sold on ebay I was never interested then so I never paid much attention to the details other than the AD said it would transmit to all the TVs in the house. I checked ebay nothing like that for sale anymore.

It appears the only way this can work is have a transmitter attached to the antenna transmitting to 7 different receives connected to each TV.

What I see for sale on ebay says it transmits your DVD or VCR on 1 channel to a receiver to the other TV. WHY would anyone want to transmit the signal of a DVD player to a TV when all you have to do is plug the DVD into the TV and you dont need the Transmitter.

Last edited:
For the same reason you are asking your question - the TV is in a different room, or on a different floor.

Have you tried an amplified splitter, something that makes up the splitter loss with a small internal wideband amplifier?

ak

Something tells me you don't know how to set up a TV distribution system. I run about 12 locations from one antenna.

Use **broken link removed** to get an idea of what you need. Generally, you have to amplify early, so you may need mast mounted amp. Dunno if DTV is just UHF in your area. You can do a tap system (uncommon) or a splitter system. You can also do a daisy chain tap system (uncommon) or a central tap system or a central splitter system.

I'm actually running four quad taps from a central area that's about 75' from the antenna. The runs are between 10' and 50'.
There is a commercial distribution amp at the central area and a mast mounted amp and possibly an amp in the attic.
All of the lengths and losses have to be taken into account. Runs should at least be RG-6 quad shield.

Yes, sorry - utterly stupid (and illegal) idea.

You simply need a TV distribution system, and run cables from a central point to everywhere you want a TV point - you can also install them that distribute satellite, FM and DAB as well.

Problem is solved. I bought wireless sticks at Best Buy for the TVs it sends Wifi to each TV to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, History, YouTube, etc. Each TV will need its own wireless stick. Anyone that wants this will have to pay a monthly fee, monthly fee for Netflix is $7.

3 rooms are wired with coax cable it comes out of the west side of the house to a box. I put up an antenna south/west corner of house and 65 ft of coax from the antenna to the coax connectors box on the side of the house. All I need next is a power splitter to put in the box and connect all 7 coax cables too. Next I need a way to get coax to the other 4 rooms. My plan is to run coax where the ceiling meets the wall, make a hole in the wall and run the coax into the rooms. I can put the coax through the wall anywhere along 1 wall of each room then fish the wire to the bottom and put a box in the wall for cable hookup. All the TVs will have Free Antenna TV and Wifi for anyone that wants it. I can cover the coax on the ceiling with crown molding if it looks ugly.

I found the transmitters on ebay but dont need them now. Power rating is below the FCC limit so they are legal. It has a range of about 100 ft about same power rating as WiFi. The antenna needs a pre amp to get a stronger signal to transmit. It transmits to the receiver that is connected to the TV. My old VCR has a place for antenna I use to record right from the antenna or push a button to send the amplified signal on to the TV, so my VCR could be used as the preamp for 1 transmitter. Coax to 7 TVs will be zero maintenance, much simpler and cost less than 7 transmitters and 7 receivers.

Last edited:
Gary get a mast mounted antenna amplifier on the antenna. You need a U/V antenna. The CM-7777 amp isn;t as good as the new ones. Ideally the power injector should go on the coax leading to the antenna. It could be 65' away. The NF or Noise figure specs are better to look at. The lower the number, the better. 5 is bad.

I don;t know what kind of cable your using,nor do I know the distances. Your noise margin looks very good for the general zio code with TV fool. The gain of the antenna needs to be known etc before you can guess.

Use RG-6 quad shield with the right connectors.

There really isn;t such a thing as a power splitter. When one talks about power, they usually mean DC blocking. An 8-way splitter will give you 8 ports with the same attenuation. Sometimes you need to add attenuators to reduce the signal.

Too much signal will actually cause loss of picture.

RG-6 and RG-6 Quad shield are two different cables. Home Depot sells compression connectors. This is a compression connector: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...ector-for-RG6-6Q-10-Pack-VDV812-606/203578626

This **broken link removed** says you loose about 13 db of signal when you add this splitter. Alway terminate with 75 ohm terminator unued ports.

here http://www.w4rp.com/ref/coax.html you can see the BIG difference in losses per 100' of coax 6 vs 20 db or so at 900 mHz.

So in a simple case, you want to take the signal level **broken link removed** finds and add the gain of the antenna and subtract the losses to end up with a 0-10 db signal at each location. Tilt compensator are used to try to invert the loss with frequency when using a long feed length. As you can see, the loss is dependent on frequency used as well.

Don;t forget the drip loops.

These things (taps) **broken link removed** are wierd. They remove 6 db of signal from in to out and downstream gets upset when you remove cables. These are not splitters. The end of the line would also need a TV or a terminator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back