Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna Arrays and Transmitting/Receiving Signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbel1106

As a CET major, I am required to do a project in my final semester. I've decided to try to replicate a pet tracking system with my own unique twist.

What I am trying to create is simple receiver with 4-6 LEDs setup in a circular fashion. Each LED will be placed in series with an antenna for receiving the the 433 MHz signal (433MHz not required, as long as amateur range is utilized). This allows the LED-antenna combination, facing the direction of the origin of the signal, to light up.

Also, when the transmitter starts to go out of range of the receiver, I want the alarm to sound alerting the owner.

Block Diagram

Transmitter
Battery-->Oscillator-->Amplifier Circuit-->Antenna

Receiver
Antenna-->Bandpass Filter (LC circuit)-->RF Amplifier-->Detector-->Amplifier-->Alarm

Any Ideas?
Any guidance is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Direction sensing is a tricky area. My first thought is to go to a much higher frequency than 433MHz. This has some pros and cons. On the pro side, the higher the frequency, the more practical becomes a highly directional antenna. I think this is the only way to make a simple system, by relying on antenna directionality. The major con to this idea is that building circuits at such high frequencies is beyond the capabilities of a novice. You could make the transmitter I think, but for the receiver, you may have to consider using a ready-made module of some sort, at least for the RF part of it.
There is a risk that such a simplified system will get false readings from reflections but if you demonstrate the device outdoors you might be ok.

Now, what frequency is practical? There is a lot of hardware and info out there for 2.4GHz, but there is also a lot of interference at that frequency so its not the best choice. There are amateur bands in North America at 3300MHz, 5650MHz, 10GHz, 24GHz and several more above that. Perhaps 5650 or 3300 MHz might be workable, but still difficult. There isn't going to be much selection in ready-made receiver modules. So, a question for you. How large can the receiver be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back