Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Another LG LCD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC.

Tried doing a search on your site for this problem but came up empty. So I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

TV is 2 years old.

So the problem is to get the TV to turn on/work. it will turn on and have the green light flash a bunch of times but the picture doesn't come on. press the power button to turn it off, takes 30-120 seconds to turn off. turn it on and off a few time and it finally works 5-10 minutes later.

So I've done some research and have found out that is a capacitor thats gone. Open the TV up last night and sure enough 2 capacitors are cracked open.

Now my question:

The capacitors are SAMWHA 10V 2200uF 105 degree. Will any 10V or higher 2200uF 105 degree Capacitor work??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks.

The 2 I found and bought this morning are a

CE-FC 10V 2200 uF and

ELNA 16V 2200 uF

Would either of these be ok to put in until I souce some good quality ones?

How do I know they are good quality?

Thanks.

The 2 I found and bought this morning are a

CE-FC 10V 2200 uF and

ELNA 16V 2200 uF

Would either of these be ok to put in until I souce some good quality ones?

How do I know they are good quality?

I tend to buy Panasonic capacitors at work, from RS Components in the UK, Farnell is another good source.

Last edited:
Well I'm in Canada. I'll see what I can find here. Going to do a little more research to see which of the 2 I bought I'm going to use tonight.

Well I'm in Canada. I'll see what I can find here. Going to do a little more research to see which of the 2 I bought I'm going to use tonight.

Are they both 105 degrees?, only 85 degree caps are useless.

Both RS Components and Farnell have a presence in the USA as well.

the SAMWHA ones in the TV are 105

and the ones I bought today are 105 degrees

the Elna ones are 16V and the CE-FC are 10V

I have 2 of each.

Last edited:
2 capacitors are cracked open.

You have other problems there....changing the Caps won't solve it.

Electrolytic caps age and go low in Capacitance and slowly die. When they burst you normally have a regulation/over voltage problem. Trust me. I kid you not.

My take.

Love this Forum BTW. Loads of good folks that only speak the truth. And don't guess.

Last edited:
You have other problems there....changing the Caps won't solve it.

Electrolytic caps age and go low in Capacitance and slowly die. When they burst you normally have a regulation/over voltage problem. Trust me. I kid you not.

Sorry, but you're pretty well wrong on all counts - failed capacitors 'may' cause further damage, depoending which specific ones have failed - it's by no means certain. Also, as he stated that the set works perfectly normally after 5-10 minutes, it obviously hasn't caused any further damage in this case.

But more importantly, they don't 'go low in Capacitance', they go 'high in ESR' - and anyone involved in TV repairs for the last 10-15 years should have an ESR meter, it's an essential instrument these days.

IT WORKS.:D:D

for how long?? who knows? but its working now.

Thanks again for your help. I know where to come in the future.

:D

Sorry, but you're pretty well wrong on all counts - failed capacitors 'may' cause further damage, depoending which specific ones have failed - it's by no means certain. Also, as he stated that the set works perfectly normally after 5-10 minutes, it obviously hasn't caused any further damage in this case.

But more importantly, they don't 'go low in Capacitance', they go 'high in ESR' - and anyone involved in TV repairs for the last 10-15 years should have an ESR meter, it's an essential instrument these days.

Sorry for using TV technician language as in "go low in Capacitance". Throw the cap has gone "high in ESR" at a tech and he will give you a stare and probably chase you out his Workshop.

Tech's are hands on people that fix other people's electronics problems on a Daily basis. We are Technical people who know our game. We know the theory but choose rather to put our efforts in physical results. As in fixing stuff.

We call an ESR Meter a Cap Tester. We call a Line Output Transformer a LOPTX. We call a Chopper Transformer a CHOPPER TX.

Not all theoretically correct......but our terms for these items nevertheless...

And BTW a Cap tester is one of the first things I bought around 20 years ago...along with my Yokagawa taught band meter. Both are still going strong and in daily use.

Great Forum BTW.

And very well Moderated.

Last edited:

I am so tired of repairing other peoples shyte. And you are correct Nigel. It is go "high in ESR". Not low in Capacitance. My theory has taken a dive. I am so frigging tired.

You got me back for the PTC correction.

No Problem.

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back