Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Another Ka-Boom Power Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reloadron

Most Helpful Member
A few days ago about 10:30 AM I heard a loud bang followed by several popping sounds like firecrackers. Some may remember my thread some time back about the suicidal squirrels. The squirrels were drawn to a pole power transformer and on average 1 squirrel per week took out the primary to the transformer.

This was a new Kaboom. Much bigger too! I live on a typical suburban residential street. There are two 3 phase lines on poles running down the street. The upper lines are I believe 25KV and the lower is 13.3 KV. The lower lines feed the residential transformers. They alternate phases for load balance delivering 240 VAC 60 Hz. The lower lines are insulated but in the 25 years I have been here have seen some weather, this is Cleveland so snow and ice plus road salt mist.

A few days ago several mylar balloons got loose and ended up on the lower lines.

Ballons in Power Line.png

That evening dew formed on the balloons and at about 10:30 AM the following day the lines shorted. Vaporized remains of the poor balloons were found. The flash was so bright that in daylight it lit my living room. The dogs looked at me with a what the heck was that look. Power went out for several minuets and one line, blown in half laid in the street. My generator came online. Interesting because after a few min the power returned. Guess it wasn't the 1 of 3 feeding our transformer. With a line down I called 911 before someone hit it. Police and fire showed up and closed the street and finally the power company showed up. They killed all 3 phases and again my generator came online. Took about 4 hours to repair the mess.

Who would have thought a few mylar balloons could have done that? Go figure.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back