Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

analogue DC-DC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

demirural

I need to convert a 0-10V DC output to a 0-24 V output is there a simple DC-DC converter that can do this or do I need to work with transistors or something like that.

I take it the input signal varies between 0 and 10V DC and you want it amplified to 0-24V DC

Not really a DC:DC converter, but a amplification

Look into non-inverting OPAM configurations.

The gain will need to be x2.4

You really need to be exact about your requirements, the existing question is far too vague - Styx may have guessed correctly?, or not?, so please give many more details of what you are wanting to do!.

Thats true, because the other option is to use a FET and a pull-up to 24V

more info

Thank you for your replies

I have an analogue output card that I use with an s7/300 PLC that is 0-10V and need to drive a proportional hyraulics valve that works 0-24V
The valf says maximum 1amp and the circut breaker for the output card is also 1amp.

You will need some majic or a miracle to convert 10W into 24W.

Your application doesn't need to convert anything. The 10V can turn on a relay or transistor that applies the 24V from a 24V power supply to the valve.

audioguru said:

You are been deliberately obstructive! :lol:

You know full well that an amplifier actually does no such thing, but merely produces a larger copy by modulating a higher voltage supply, or providing a larger current capability.

Your application doesn't need to convert anything. The 10V can turn on a relay or transistor that applies the 24V from a 24V power supply to the valve.

He does say 'proportional valve', so presumably it requires a varying voltage to set it's degree of opening?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
audioguru said:

You are been deliberately obstructive! :lol:

You know full well that an amplifier actually does no such thing, but merely produces a larger copy by modulating a higher voltage supply, or providing a larger current capability.
Not me. Styx recommended using an amplifier. I recommended using a switch.

Nigel Goodwin said:
audioguru said:

He does say 'proportional valve', so presumably it requires a varying voltage to set it's degree of opening?.
Surely the valve has a motor spinning gears and needs to have its power applied for a certain amount of time to control the amount of its opening.
I don't think a proportional voltage would do it, too much loss of torque at a low voltage.

audioguru said:
Surely the valve has a motor spinning gears and needs to have its power applied for a certain amount of time to control the amount of its opening.
I don't think a proportional voltage would do it, too much loss of torque at a low voltage.

I've no idea what the valve might consist of, but he does specify 0-24V, which means 'from' zero volts 'to' 24V, as opposed to 0/24V which means a switched voltage.

As you say, if it's a simple switched 24V ON and OFF, from a switched 10V ON and OFF, then it's simple to do - presumably in normal PLC use a relay would be used?.

demirural said:
I have an analogue output card that I use with an s7/300 PLC that is 0-10V and need to drive a proportional hyraulics valve that works 0-24V
The valf says maximum 1amp and the circut breaker for the output card is also 1amp.

OK, that sounds like a Siemens PLC.
Can you give some detail on the valve?
A 0 to 24 volt control signal I can just about believe, but 1amp?
I could believe a 24v supply at up to 1 amp, but the control signal?
Are there separate power and control signals to the hydraulic valve?

JimB

This is a circuit that will do the job:

Attachments

• valve_driver.png
    valve_driver.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 576
The system works as Nigel Goodwin has described,

The varying voltage supply to the valve controls the restrcition over it controling the flowrate that changes the speed of the actuators in the system. Just a proportional valve only a relay and springs no motors or such to control the opening.

with 0 to 10V I can only open it to half way that causes the machine to move slowly.

By the way another idea is to connect the two 0-10V outputs of the analogue output card in series, then do I have 0-20V to control or do I damage the equipment?

demirural said:
The system works as Nigel Goodwin has described,

The varying voltage supply to the valve controls the restrcition over it controling the flowrate that changes the speed of the actuators in the system. Just a proportional valve only a relay and springs no motors or such to control the opening.

with 0 to 10V I can only open it to half way that causes the machine to move slowly.

By the way another idea is to connect the two 0-10V outputs of the analogue output card in series, then do I have 0-20V to control or do I damage the equipment?

You can't do that, as they won't be fully isolated from each other.

The circuit Russelk posted will do the job!, and was similar to what I had in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back