Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

neocps1

Hello,

Do you know if the CD4066 analog switch handles negative inputs ? I mean, output for example -5V
when the switch is on and 0V when it is not ?

The datasheet is unclear about that.

thank you very much !

Fig 4 of the datasheet shows switching of an AC signal. If your input signal goes to -5V then the negative supply terminal (Vss) of the IC must be more negative, e.g. -6V.

Ok, Basically, I want to build a circuit based on a 4066 analog switch which allows me to have :

- Output 1 : 5V ON / 0V OFF
- Output 2 : -5V ON / 0V OFF
- Output 3 : 5V ON / 0V OFF
- Output 4 : -5V ON / 0V OFF

Control lines should be 5V if ON and 0V is OFF

do you think it is possible with the 4066 with VDD set to 5V and VSS set to -5V ?

thank you !

No, that will not work. For Vin = off, you have to be less than 30% of Vdd-Vss (5 - -5 = 10, @ .3 = 3V, above vss = -2V with respect to ground... the data sheet shows 2V above Vss for guaranteed low).

However, fig 18 of the data sheet shows you can use a 4054 with Vdd = 5V and Vss =0V and Vee = -5V, and uses a 0-5V switch input to turn the 4066 on and off. This looks exactly like your application.

Attachments

• 4066.png
    4066.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 154
Take a look at the CD4051, 52 and 53. They are more optimize for negative signals through the switch, but the control lines are ground referenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back