Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog motor controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grossel

Hi.

Once a time several years ago I came over some theory about a motor controller. What I remember now is this:

It contains 4 opamps. One integrator, one differentiator and a regular noninverting opamp amplifier stage. Then I think all three stages mentioned above had their input connected together and I also think that the output from the three stages went into a adder circuit.

The input comes from a frequenzy to voltage converter on the motor shaft.

However I don't know what this technique is called and therefore it's impossible to google for it. Anybody knows?

pulse width modulation with feedback from a tacho on the motor shaft.

Last edited:
Hi.

Once a time several years ago I came over some theory about a motor controller. What I remember now is this:

It contains 4 opamps. One integrator, one differentiator and a regular noninverting opamp amplifier stage. Then I think all three stages mentioned above had their input connected together and I also think that the output from the three stages went into a adder circuit.

The input comes from a frequenzy to voltage converter on the motor shaft.

However I don't know what this technique is called and therefore it's impossible to google for it. Anybody knows?

I don't know what all those circuits you mentioned do, but the techniques are fairly standardized these days. I think most of the motor types are single phase AC induction motors. They call them induction motors because the secondary windings (squirrel cage) have no direct electrical connection. The electricity in the squirrel cage is induced from the electromagnetic field of the primary windings. In a free running (uncontrolled) AC motor there is a START capacitor in-line with the secondary windings to shift the phase by 90 degrees so that the motor will begin to rotate, then a centrifuge switch will drop out the phase shifting capacitor after it begins to rotate.

Now days they use the same techniques as a power inverter where the motor windings are considered like a transformer. So the input AC line voltage is rectified and fed into an oscillator circuit as is done with an inverter. Then as the guy before me said, they use pulse width modulation to control the speed of the motor rotation.

Here's some good websites to get you started:

**broken link removed**

Schematics For: 1Ø Split Phase Motors - Series 2 - ECN Electrical Forums

The motor could be a universal type rather than an inductive?

Just a thought :)

The motor could be a universal type rather than an inductive?

Just a thought :)

Oh man, They even use 3 phase off the same theory. I think that they mostly use what I was describing, but I'm no expert by any means. I have never followed through with any design of this sort. It's just that I was bidding a job recently where they needed extra efficiency, and that was some of the stuff I came across in my research.

Hello,

It was a PID controller circuit.

Almost every controller (probably every one) contains a P controller, but when you add the I and D you
get better control. The P makes the basic controller, the D is so the control has a faster response,
and the I is to get lower steady state error.

Last edited:
Proportional, Integral and Derivative are the three terms...

Derivative is commonly used in temperature control loops to reduce Dv/Dt lags.....

Wireless robots

Well friends
i m beginner well i have made a wired racer robo car but now i want to convert it into wireless
so please guide me wat to do please from starting to end

Hello,

It was a PID controller circuit.

Almost every controller (probably every one) contains a P controller, but when you add the I and D you
get better control. The P makes the basic controller, the D is so the control has a faster response,
and the I is to get lower steady state error.
Thanks a lot :)

Problem solved.

It's a "dumb" problem really, but for a no-native english it make the difference between know-how and completely confusion :confused: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The motor is just a regular DC. It's not important what is between the adder circuit and the motor.

Do you just want to control the speed of the motor?

A pwm cct will do that for you...search for PWM motor control.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back