Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

An old thread, which is better PIC or AVR never compare the 18F or higher PICs

Status
Not open for further replies.
3v0 said:
I am not sure what I wrote that led you to say this ? My point was that the PIC gave me a reasonable level of both.

3v0
More of a general observation. I could not find much about the part you were reffering to and the only outstanding thing about it was the USB.

D.

This is a 48Mhz with 32MB flash, 2K RAM and 256 bytes of EEPROM.
EUSART, MI²C Compatible/SPI, USB 2.0, 10 10bit ADCs, plus timers, compators etc. etc.

I do not want to get into a mine is better then yours. I think this is a heck of a buy for $6.

You did not look very hard.. Newark, Mouser, and DigiKey carry it. The datasheet is on the company website.

3v0

Last edited:
3v0 said:
This is a 48Mhz with 32MB flash, 2K RAM and 256 bytes of EEPROM.
EUSART, MI²C Compatible/SPI, USB 2.0, 10 10bit ADCs, plus timers, compators etc. etc.

I do not want to get into a mine is better then yours. I think this is a heck of a buy for $6.

You did not look very hard.. Newark, Mouser, and DigiKey carry it. The datasheet is on the company website.

3v0
Sorry, what I meant was I did not nitpick the data sheet.

I spoke to the rep about the disparity at the 32K flash level and the fact that NXP buries them at that level ($3.20 single piece qty for a 32K part) to which he replied that the code is twice as dense. I said I know but some have trouble dealing with other than absolute numbers.

There is a part that we are using for USB that has everything you need to talk to a thumb drive built in while exposing an AT style interface (among others) at the other end. That USB on the PIC is only a slave, to talk to a thumb you need a master. I am sure that is one of the ones that came up in my search and was dismissed since my requirement was for a master.
https://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntt=vnc1
It, however is about $12 in single piece qty. and SMT.

D.

cadstarsucks said:
Sorry, what I meant was I did not nitpick the data sheet.

I spoke to the rep about the disparity at the 32K flash level and the fact that NXP buries them at that level ($3.20 single piece qty for a 32K part) to which he replied that the code is twice as dense. I said I know but some have trouble dealing with other than absolute numbers.

Set to music
I find it hard to trust this claim.
Sort of like the benchmark game.
repeat

When it comes to microprocessors I have little brand loyalty. But then again, I am also lazy, and will not switch without a good reason. A better free toolchain would be one good reason to switch. The processors themselves are less important.

cadstarsucks said:
There is a part that we are using for USB that has everything you need to talk to a thumb drive built in while exposing an AT style interface (among others) at the other end.
https://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntt=vnc1
It, however is about $12 in single piece qty. and SMT.
D.

The price is not bad if you need its functionality. This thing with a thumb drive has got to be a shoe in for many data collection apps.

3v0 said:
Set to music
I find it hard to trust this claim.
Sort of like the benchmark game.
repeat

When it comes to microprocessors I have little brand loyalty. But then again, I am also lazy, and will not switch without a good reason. A better free toolchain would be one good reason to switch. The processors themselves are less important.

The price is not bad if you need its functionality. This thing with a thumb drive has got to be a shoe in for many data collection apps.
Indeed...I can not say right now what it is we are doing with it...DAMN NDAs!

I have no brand loyalty either...I am, however a nut for efficiency.

I push for new stuff occasionally when it makes sense, and often prevail eventually. The flexibility is how I originally got the boss to shift from the Intel crap to ARM - never having to buy and learn a new development system, even if a supplier goes belly up!

I do not know about the others but I do know that the Kiel has a wonderful cycle by cycle simulator to check code on even before you hook up the hardware...There are even simulators online for various machine so you can see how the code fits.

As to the processor not meaning much...well I am an efficiency nut. Comparing 32 bit math on a 32 bitter against an 8 bitter shows a good reason to me to switch if you need 32 bit math. I would guess it is around 16 instructions for a 32 bit add on an 8 bitter as opposed to 3.

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back