Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

An inexpensive yet quality soldering station

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTech

I don't want this post to become an advertisement for a specific brand or distributor, but I would like to share some information on a very good deal for a soldering station. I have used this station and it's pretty good quality and nice features for its low price. Even replacement pencil assemblies are very affordable. I have many of these placed in the electronics lab and they hold up well. If you cannot afford nor desire to spend big bucks on the major brand stations, then consider getting this one for your bench. You'll be hard pressed to find another one with upscale features at such a low, low price. Leave it to the China to outdo Weller, Ungar, etc.!

https://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=15845+TL

I purchased one of these stations a week and a half ago. Not an advertisement either but as someone that was VERY pleased with the construction and performance of a product received, I'd second Hero's recommendation. I think I ran across MPJA from Hero's recommendation for this iron on a similar post from someone looking for a good inexpensive iron shortly before I chose it. I was a little irritated they didn't have a breadboard I wanted in stock, but they notified me it wasn't available via a phone call immediatly and I removed the item, the remainder of the order was shipped the next day.

Last edited:
Thanks, orderd one.
I have orderd alot from MPJA and have always been happy with their stuff and service.
sam

This particular soldering station is available in the UK under a couple of different brand names, Union Brothers and Vann Draper.

I bought one from Vann Draper nearly ten years ago, and I still use it now.

The only repairs made to it in that time were a replacement power switch (the old one stopped locking in place) and using some araldite on the mains transformer to stop it from vibrating loudly in it's frame. Other than those problems, it's served me well.

Looks pretty good! I'll have to keep it in mind... I'd really like to get ahold of those SMD tweezers for 13 bucks..

I've got several Hakko's already and have no complaints

Sceadwian said:
I'd second Hero's recommendation. I think I ran across MPJA from Hero's recommendation for this iron on a similar post from someone looking for a good inexpensive iron shortly before I chose it.
I can't remember that!

I just searched, it was actually mramos, you mentioned another unit you purchased through Jameco with similar specs and he suggested the mpja one was a good buy.

Optikon said:
I'd really like to get ahold of those SMD tweezers for 13 bucks.
Cheap, considering the various sized ones (with built in heaters mind you) we just received at work for a MetCal rework station at $125 a pop. :eek:

Sceadwian said:
you mentioned another unit you purchased
I remember, it was from Maplin and I was not happy with it, it was not a real temperature controller, it was just a simple light dimmer circuit. I strongly advise people to be wary of rip-offs like that, always remember that if it looks too good to be true then it probably is!

How hard is it to change tips on the stations. What do your think of getting an extra handle or two to advoid changing tips?

I am starting to play with SMDs so it might make sense.

Handles are $7 each.

They have a special on RS232 M/F cables
[FONT=arial,verdana] [/FONT] 6ft. DB-9M/F EXTENSION CABLE SPECIAL $1.49

Extra handles would definitly make it easier, though the manual does warn not to disconnect the iron while the unit is still on so if you did it accidentally you might damage the base station. From everything I've gathered once you start getting into SMD's if you can't do it easily with a fine tipped iron it's probably a good idea to invest in a hot air station or give the oven reflow method a shot.

My Weller temperature-controlled soldering iron is about 43 years old and still works fine. Parts are still available if I need them and tips are also still available. It has cost me less than $1.00CAN per year.

3v0 said:
How hard is it to change tips on the stations.

After reading this thread, I have just bought one of these. I got it from a UK supplier, same model number but branded "Duratool".

I just tried it and so far am impressed, the handle is light and has a very flexible lead compared to my old mains powered Antex iron.
I tried changing the tip as I have bought a selection of tips for it. It can be removed after the iron has cooled by unscrewing a knurled nut to remove a metal sleeve and then the tip can be pulled off.

I have not bought a spare handle, although I think maybe it could be useful if a user needs a different sized tip without waiting for it to cool first.

I did get a spare element though as it was very cheap.

I experimented with the temperature settings, it seemed to work alright at about 250C for soldering small component leads but for unsoldering components from a board it was more effective at about 320C using the 0.5mm tip supplied with it.

The handle being light is one of the reasons why less is more in a soldering iron. The less mass to heat up the faster it heats up and the better the temperature control tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back