Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplifying signal from capacitive sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nulixos

Hi everyone, I building my home project and I built capacitive sensor. When sensor detect value raise just between 0.5 and 1pF. I need this signal to amplify for use on arduino and I don't have many components. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance!

What is the sensor measuring?
Where is it located?

One way to measure the small change in capacitance would be to incorporate the capacitance into an oscillator circuit, preferably one which was built very close to the sensor to minimise the effects of connecting wires, and use the arduino to measure the frequency of the oscillator.

JimB

Hi everyone, I building my home project and I built capacitive sensor. When sensor detect value raise just between 0.5 and 1pF. I need this signal to amplify for use on arduino and I don't have many components. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance!

is it a change from 0.001 pF to 1.0pF,
or it a change from 500pF to 501pF?

From ~ 50pF to 51pF

In theory, a circuit like this will give you a frequency shift from about 890 to 910 Hz. It is a big enough shift to hear with even average musical aptitude. But, theory and reality is all in parts selection and implementation.

you can use a timer on a microcontroller to measure the period of the amp output. The faster your microcontroller, the more resolution you will have... assuming you can get your capacitor to oscillate your circuit.

If you need your sensor to split hairs, like measure relative humidity from 0 to 100%, I think you'll need some more range in your sensor.

1E7C861E-C32B-44EB-9666-76D6C5507B1A.jpeg

Are any of these of use...:
Capacitive Sensors

I figured, If you were making your own sensor, you'd want to make your whole sensor. But, yes, these are the parts you need if you know how to use SPI or I2C communication with a microcontroller (arduino). If one leg on your sensor is connected to ground, most of those will work. If you have a floating or non-grounded connection, then you'll have to search a bit harder. You are well into attoFarads at 16bits of real resolution at 20pF so you will have a bit of dynamic range to work with. Just make sure the chip you select can handle 50pF base capacitance and measure a difference from there. Sometimes a call to tech support or online chat gets a good recommendation of a part in a few minutes. Better than me searching through them for you.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back