Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplifying Audio to +/- 5V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

things

Hey guys,
I am currently building a laser projector using 20K galvonometers. The problem I have, is I need to have a ILDA interface. Using a slightly modified sound card is a very cheap and easy way to do so, so i'm going to attempt it. Basically, the galvo's require a 5V +/- signal into their amps. Using just +5v will work too, but the pattern would be smaller, as the potential is less. Does anyone know how I can amplify the output of a standard USB sound card to 5V? It needs to be as noise free as possible, otherwise I could get interference in the output, and at a speed of 20K, it shows up badly.

Any help appreciated ;)

Last edited:
BTW, I realise I wouldnt get TTL yet, but once I can figure out the 5v amp, then TTL modulation will be easy.

Thanks

You need simply add an audio amplifier that is capable of putting out 2 watts or more. Have any old stereo amplifiers lying around? Any old junker receiver would be able to do the job.

Agree with using an old junk receiver. Easiest way by far. Question though: Why does he need 2 watts of output?

Last edited:
Agree with using an old junk receiver. Easiest way by far. Question though: Why does he need 2 watts of output?

He doesn't need 2 watts, but he wants a voltage swing of +/- 5 volts peak. If the amp were designed to produce barely just this amount, it would do so into 8 ohms. 5 volts peak is 3.54 Volts rms. The amount of power delivered into 8 ohms with 3.54 Vrms is 1.56 watts. I just rounded up to 2 watts for convenience. Since most audio amps deliver voltage to any load presented, with a source resistance that is typically very low, then an amp rated at 1.56 watts or more will deliver +/- 5 volts into any resistance of 8 ohms or more.

Oh OK. If he builds a simple op amp amplifier, he shouldn't need more than a mA of current though, should he?

What RadioRon is trying to say is that any cheap powered PC speakers should do it just fine, as long as it can handle 2 watts output into 8ohm speakers. Why build a circuit when you don't have to?

Last edited:
That's a real common circuit for headphone amps - a push/pull emitter follower transistor pair enclosed in the feedback loop of the opamp. That schematic is the simplest version. The performance/fidelity can be increased by biasing the transistors with diode/resistor pairs (D1, D2, R5, R6 with 100uF caps just to stabilize the voltage across the diodes) and putting in emitter resistors:

**broken link removed**

It also blocks amplification of DC by putting an electrolytic in the feedback network. This only does 1.5W into 8 ohms off 15V supplies, but some beefier transistors would probably help. If he only needs voltage gain then this is moot. I don't know what it takes to drive a galvo.

Last edited:
This does not answer any of your questions, but since your into lasers, I thoght I would share a little project I built with a laser. Simply a laser tube, power supply and 3 motors with mirrors mounted. Regular mirrors do not work. You need the kind used in laser stuff (I can't remember the name).

Attachments

• lasadraw.jpg
    lasadraw.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 173
  • laserpict.jpg
    laserpict.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 153
First (or front) surface.

That sounds about right. They were also made from silver I think. The rear coated mirrors simply do not work. Too much diffraction in the glass. Laser light ends up looking like fuzz.

Kinda expensive too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back