Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Have a look at this.

I am a little discouraged when I see stuff like this. This because I myself am a gui creator but no where near what this video or what the iPhone can do.

While on the topic, I was wondering, all those gui's out there that are usable with MCU's such as easygui, Peg, Amullet, Designer (Microchip), Ramteck and so on .... Can all these gui's do multi-touch and stuff like the iPhone does?

All insight and comments are appreciated!
regards
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing really amazing there.. It was just a mocked up demonstration none of it was real, and nothing that hasn't been shown in technology demo's before. It's going to be a few years before you see any practical systems outside of very high end closed systems that work well along those lines. There are currently active projects that work with gloves, but they're far from user friendly at this point.

Not had any experiences with the GUI's you're referring to but I somehow doubt they're multi-touch or if so it still up to the user to create a UI that can intuitively use multi touch, or even gestures in the first place. Lot of trig work needs to be done.

I think you misread something Nigel the question wasn't concerning the Iphone being multi-touch that was a given, it was if the MCU GUI's he mentioned were capable of it.

Yeah, that's all computer generated. It's not real, as Sceadwian said. Not to mention, the mid-air screens go against the laws of physics. That would require light to stop on a single spot, which it can not do without something actually being there. You would need some sort of holographic technology, which is still fairly new, and requires a solid object on which to project the image.

Don't feel discouraged. If you ask me, if this kind of thing is ever invented, it is still quite a few years away. Then again, technology is moving very fast now.... ;)

DerStrom, how many hundreds or thousands or even tens or hundreds of thousands of years have passed since the first proto-human saw the first wheel like device before it occurred to make the wheel for moving goods from point to point?

Last edited:
DerStrom, how many hundreds or thousands or even tens or hundreds of thousands of years have passed since the first proto-human saw the first wheel like device before it occurred to make the wheel?

I'm not quite sure I follow your thinking, Scead..... How does that relate to what I just said?

No living person would consider the wheel 'new' or 'technology' yet not so much it but our ability to perceive 'IT' as new or technology is limited by our perceptions of what we know the world to be made of, what is useful.

The gap from 'human' cognition of a round object used to leverage weight off a flat surface so we didn't have to carry it.. that is the true breakthrough. The wheel is a simple tool, and that's how long it took us to utilize it. What other fundamental functions of the world and physics as we know it currently are being missed by us?

There will never be a re-invention of the wheel, simply an understanding of something else that no longer requires it.

Well, the closest thing I can think of associating your post to mine is that you're saying more discoveries will be made that allow you to stop light in midair, on a single point. IMO there isn't really a way to do that without putting something solid there to stop the light. But if that's not what you meant, than I'm afraid I still have no clue what your post has to do with mine :D I've been doing this sort of thing a lot tonight, so maybe I'm just not thinking straight. You may just have to come out and say exactly what you mean :p:D

You're thinking straight enough DerSrom, but only because it's linear thinking. There has never been a solid streaming linear theme in the human experience. There are massive jumps from one stage to another. Life is never linear, except on a course space/scale, in which case the systems themselves breakdown.

Last edited:
You're thinking straight enough DerSrom, but only because it's linear thinking. There has never been a solid streaming linear theme in the human experience. There are massive jumps from one stage to another. Life is never linear, except on a course space/scale, in which case the systems themselves breakdown.

Okay, I actually followed that one :D

My point was that technology such as that shown in the film is no different than the technology of a lightsaber in starwars--Light cannot stop at a single point without something actually being there. The beams of light would continue on, making screens projected in midair (and 4-foot laser swords) fairly impossible. I'm not saying someone can't invent something to stop light to create a midair screen. I'm simply saying that something actually has to be there. Do you disagree?

The technology shown in the film wasn't original, does not exist, and will in concept never be possible.

The technology shown in the film wasn't original, does not exist, and will in concept never be possible.

Oh, so you were agreeing? It sounded like you sere disagreeing :p:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back