Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Aluminum Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
'bedliner' is nothing more than epoxy paint. It can be any color including clear, although generally the epoxy for bedliners I believe incorporates polyurethane components and so tends towards a minimal tan colour. White could be had with enough Titantium Dioxide, but this would weaken the strength of the liner. Dyeing dark is almost always easier than dyeing ligther.

Bedliner is much more than just epoxy paint. It's a blend of urathanes, polyesters, other polymeres and thickeners that make a harder, thicker and tougher coating. If it was just epoxy paint, then there would be no point it it.

Bedliner is alot harder than hard rubber. It's so hard in fact, that the US military is using it on vehicles to harden protection against shrapnel.

BrownOut, you do realize that you said that it's much more than a epoxy paint just to contradict me when in fact that's what bedliners are?

The typical ingredients in a bedliner are polyurethane for abrasion resistance and flexibility and polyurea for hardness and strength along with whatever hardener is required. Sure there are a thousand more ingredients that can be used for one reason or another but they're still applied the SAME way, as a two part (possibly more) epoxy that is sprayed or rolled on as a paint.

Regardless of how complicated the mixture gets and how many additives are used, there's just more science and development behind more advanced formulations, at the end of the day, it's still just an epoxy paint.

Last edited:
I do realize you just contradicted your own self. Polyurathanes, polyesters, thickeners and all the other components that go into bedliner makes it much more than just epoxy paint. Wether it's rolled on, sprayed on or whatever application used, that does not make it paint. As I've said, if it was just epoxy paint, there wouldn't be any point. Truck beds already come epoxy painted. All you need to do is look at bedliner to tell it's something different. Epoxy is a very different formulation, and not the same as bedliner, no matter how many times you repeat that bulls**t.

BrownOut, seriously, what's the problem here? Do you have any idea what an 'epoxy' is?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoxy

Most truck beds I've seen from a stock provider are all simple plastic and aren't lined at all!

Polyurathanes, polyesters, thickeners and all the other components
MAKE it an epoxy...

Yes, I know exactly what epoxy is, and I don't need any Wikipedia to tell me.

Polyurathanes, polyesters, thickeners and all the other components

Does NOT make it epoxy paint. Trucks already come with epoxy paint, and as such don't need more epoxy paint. Bedliner is something different. Being a polymer does not make it epoxy paint. All epoxy might be plastic, but not all plastics are epoxy. There are tons of kinds of plastics that aren't epoxy.

Last edited:
Easy you two, fact of the matter is I will not be using a bedliner to seal the contaners.

Update

It seems the contaner is still leaking even after coating the rivit heads with rubber.
The only thing I can see that mite be happening is the water is getting in under the small drip edge that gose all the way around the contaner. I have caulked the areas whare the water runs off the roof as best as I can and tried to extend the drip edge with caulking.
Now just waiting for more rain. This contaner has been leaking on and off for 5 years I just started trying to fix it this year, some day I will get it. Andy

4pyros said:
Now just waiting for more rain.
Can you run a hose to the container? No need to wait for rain then, and you can spot check specific spots with someone's help inside.

Can you run a hose to the container? No need to wait for rain then, and you can spot check specific spots with someone's help inside.
No but we have used fire extinguishers on it. Because of the cold wether coming in for the winter I probubly will not be able to do any more work on it this year. The hard part is the leak is in the the joint between the roof and the fraim so you can not pin point it anyway. So I will wait for the rain and pick it up again in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back